1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner, media or player causing problem? Help!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jcoplo, Oct 18, 2004.

1. jcoplo

jcoplo Member

Hi , I have a question regarding my Lite on 401s which has been flashed into a 811s now. The problem however, existed before I flashed as well. I use the burner to backup my dvd's. I used different types of DVD+-R disks and it burns fine. However, it seems that when I use a certain type of media (even though they are Ritek G04 4x Silver DVD-R, which you would think are pretty good) about 70% of the disks/movies I backup will not play on the dvd player downstairs, eventhough they play on a seemingly older JVC DVD player I have in my room. The one downstairs is supposed to be top of the line (toshiba) and it DOES play some of the movies I burn on these DVD's , but only about 20-30% of them. Hwoever, when I use other media (which is not even necesarily better than the ritek), it works 100% of the DVD player downstairs and also on the one upstairs. My dvd-player upstairs , as a matter of fact, has played any DVD i have burned on any type of media. The one downstairs seems to be picky and it "gives disk read errors" when i use the above mentioned media...Now, is this because of the media? maybe the burner? the fact that I am using DVD-R's and liteon is licensed with DVD+r's? Why would a newer DVD player show less compatibility towards some burned DVD's than an older one? Is there media out there that is more compatible (once it is burned) with more DVD players? or is my lite on burner causing some of my media not to be compatible with some DVD players? I am confused...
    My second questions is as follows: When a DVD does work what is more likely to cause it to randomly start skipping in the middle of a movie? This has happened both while playing movies on the JVC and the Toshiba player. Is it more likely to be my media or my burner? I could see the media being the issue and also maybe my burner ocasinally makes some mistakes and then they show up as skips or "getting stuck" during playback...any advice?

thanks
    jc

2. hkeiner

hkeiner Member

I was having similar hesitation and freeze problems playing DVD-Rs on my Toshiba SD3800 player. I tried varous media(including Ritek G04), software (including DVD shrink and DVD decrypter), labeling methods (including no labels), and other procedures. Lot's of frustration but no fix until I replaced the Toshisha SD3800 with a Sony DVD-NS575 player. Now all of my DVD-Rs play fine. (standard disclaimer note: your results may vary but it worked for me.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004