1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner seen by Device Mgr but not in burning software

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MartinRub, Apr 17, 2005.

1. MartinRub

MartinRub Member

I have a Gericom/Samsung DVD external USB burner (TSST Corp TS-H552U), which I'm trying to run on my laptop (Windows 98SE). (The burner is supposed to run with 98SE.)

The burner seems to have installed correctly in that - as per the instructions - the DVD writer appears under CDROM in Device Manager and Hi-speed USB-IDE Bridge Controller shows up under both Universal Serial Bus Controller and under Hard Disk Controller.

However, the DVD drive will not show up in either Nero or HT Fireman (a free DVD burning programme). I also downloaded something called SFDNWIN from the Samsung site that assists in updating their firmware and that also soes not see the burner (it sees the laptop's own DVD-Rom only). I updated Nero on their advice but it did not help and it now seems clear that the problem is not with the burning software, but elsewhere.

I don't understand why Windows Device Manager clearly sees the DVD burner but burner software won't.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

2. MartinRub

MartinRub Member

Vital piece of new info:

I have just tried the burner using its Firewire connection through a PCMCIA combo card (allows USB2 and Firewire inputs into laptop via PCMCIA card) and have finally got the burner software and the Samsung utilities (such as Magic Speed) to recognise the burner. To prove it I have also finally managed to burn my first bit of data.

(Burn speed was quoted as x2 onto the DVD via the combo card - I don't know if that's good or bad.)

The problem therefore lies in the USB route; the burner is not recognised (except in Device Mgr) via either the USB 1.1 port or by the USB 2 port in the combo card.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Well, I did some searching and the only thing I found that might help you out is to make sure your ASPI layers are correct. I personally am very foggy about ASPI, but the info is out there.

Do other devices work OK on your USB ports?

I also found that even though USB2.0 is supposedly faster than firewire, it's not. Firewire does reach its maximum potential for speed and USB2.0 doesn't.

You will run into problems trying to burn via USB1.1. In fact, if you get a good burn out of it, consider yourself lucky.

I myself would stick with the firewire.

4. MartinRub

MartinRub Member

Thanks for that. I do vaguely remember seeing something about ASPI in one of the many searches I did. I will have to read up on ASPI layers - it's new to me.

Yes, things work fine through the USB 1.1 ports - printer, camera, Wintv, memory stick. They also tend to work well through the PCMCIA USB 2 combo card ports too - the only exception is that Wintv won't give a picture or sound. But the other peripherals work through it. I suspect that is an unrelated problem.

Witn the burner connected to the Firewire port, the burner now shows up in the "Unplug or eject hardware" icon in the systems tray, which does not happen when the burner is plugged into either of the USB ports - another indication of this problem with USB.

By the way, do you know what "firmware" is? I went to a Samsung site to see if there are, for example, updated drivers for this burner. As luck has it, there is a program called SFDNWIN that "upgrades the firmware" from a file they call "bin file (firmware)". I don't mind updating drivers - software - but I don't want to start messing with stuff such as flashing eproms or anything that might be irreversible or even fatal, and seeing the word "firmware" doesn't exactly give me a warm feeling. I was going to start a new thread with this question, but as you were kind enough to reply, I hope you don't mind if I try you first.

Thanks also for the reassurance on Firewire vs USB - I must admit, through the newsgroups I had come to think USB had the edge on Firewire. It makes me feel inclined not to worry about the failure to fully communicate via USB.

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

As far as firmware, check this site out: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105 Those guys know more about that stuff than I care to ever know. As far as being cautious about it, very good idea. I only download firmware from the burner's manufacturer's site. I would recommend you do the same and make sure you get the correct firmware for your burner. The BIN file is the actual firmware file.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Firmware should give you a pretty good idea of what firmware is.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Have you any other devices connected to the USB ports whilst the burner is connected?

If so it maybe worth removing all other devices and see if this improves things.

The reason I ask is that commonly if you have low speed USB devices connected at the same time as USB2.0, the bus will be reduced to the lower rated device..................

7. MartinRub

MartinRub Member

Looks like Squizzle has hit the bullseye with ASPI: I ran the Nero information tool and, although it said that my Nero ASPI and my system ASPI were fine, I noticed that the Windows ASPI files were of 1990s vintage. I checked the Properties, saw they were Adaptec files, went to the Adaptec site, ran a search for ASPI and downloaded the zipped files for Windows. After a bit of detective work I discovered that for Windows 98SE the ASPIINST.EXE file in the unzipped package has to be run. That updated the relevant files in the Windows systems folder and now the burner is recognized by Nero and the Samsung utilities on both USB 1.1 and the USB 2 on the combo card. (I haven't tried burning yet via USB but I'm totally confident it'll work. I've included all the details above for future reference.) Furthermore, the Nero information tool now tells me that the write speed has gone from 2x to 40x. And all for just updating 2 ASPI files.

I will be leaving the firmware well alone now that everything's working.

Sincerest thanks - for a while I really thought the burner was on its way back to Aldis.

Martin

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

They actually sell computer parts? That makes me laugh...

Glad you got everything sorted out. Please do post your results from your burn, just so we know we really got the problem worked out.

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Good old Mr ASPI, he gets in the most awkward positions doesn't he..................

I am fortunate as I don't require any of Mr ASPI's clan on my PC.....

I shall be making a note of this thread for future reference just in case Mr ASPI is looking for refuge......................

10. MartinRub

MartinRub Member

As axpected, a successful burn via USB 2 on my combo card. Once again, many, many thanks for your help, advice and knowledge sharing.

Martin

I'm now including the details of the Adaptec page from which I got the up-to-date ASPI Windows files:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...roduct/ASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

The page has the title "Windows ASPI Package Downloads"

And to aid anyone making future searches on this topic, I'm listing some of the search phrases I used in this problem in the hope it brings them to this thread:

burner not recognised
    burner not recognized
    burner not listed
    burner does not appear
    does not list my burner
    does not show my burner
    does not recognise my burner
    does not recognize my burner

11. MartinRub

MartinRub Member

A postscript on Squizzle's note about Firewire vs USB2.

I've run a write test with Nero using the USB1.1 port, the USB2 port and the Firewire port. The results are:

Firewire 69.5x 96kB/s

USB2 34.7x 48kB/s

USB1.1 10.2x 14kB/s

just as you said, Squizzle.

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Damn, I didn't think it made that much of a difference. Thanks for that info. It'll be very helpful I'm sure.