1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner Suddenly stops burning properly

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by icemanb, Feb 8, 2005.

1. icemanb

icemanb Member

Hello to all. I recently have had problems with my Sony DRU-710a burner, it will play a dvd fine but wont properly burn. Any program that I use clone dvd, dvd x copy, shrink, nero, will say burn completed successfully but when I try it in any dvd player or my computer It does not work. Sony drive check says the following:

[02/08/2005 01:40:20 PM] 1 log - 0.3 GB Blank DVD+R
    [02/08/2005 01:40:20 PM] 1 log - Testing drive: SONY DVD RW DRU-710A (BY02)
    [02/08/2005 01:40:20 PM] 1 log - Begining Test
    [02/08/2005 01:40:20 PM] 1 log - Begining DVD Write
    [02/08/2005 01:43:47 PM] 1 log - DVD Write complete
    [02/08/2005 01:43:47 PM] 1 log - Begining data verification
    [02/08/2005 01:43:55 PM] *** err - Failed to read data from track
    [02/08/2005 01:43:55 PM] *** err - edwMmcRead10 returned the following error: SCSI Sense - Key:3 (Medium Error) ASC:11 ASCQ:05

I have previously backed up 100's of dvd's with this burner with no problem. It is only a month old also. I am using HP 8x dvd+r, which i have used before flawlessly. My system is as follows:
    Artec Dhm g 48 dvd reader
    sony dru-701a writer
    windows 2000 pro sp4
    athlon xp 2100
    1GB ddr ram
    Has anyone had this problem before and if so how did you solve it. Thanks for your help.

(if this isnt in the proper forum sorry please move to the correct one, thanks)

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello icemanb, That hp +8x media should code as cmag-E01.According to my source. You can't trust anything made by cmagnetics.

This sounds like a classic issue with cmags. Work great for a while and then all of a sudden quits.

You have tried many different programs with the same result, cmags have struck again.

Slow down that burn speed.

Check for the manufacturer code with this free handy program: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

3. icemanb

icemanb Member

you are correct saugman the hp media is made by cmc magnetics corp and is the e01. I switched to memorex and they work fine. They are also made by cmc but are the AE1 id number. Are they a better disk?? I will never buy the HP again. Problem solved it was the media used. I didnt think it would be the media because I had used them before and they were ok. Thanks for the help!

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Actually the Memorex discs are of poor quality also. Just about anything made by CMC MAG is junk. Try some Verbatim , Ritek or TY discs. You will be better off in the long run.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  5. icemanb

icemanb Member

I will check around for better disk from now on. I have learned my lesson. I have heard that maxell is ok, so I will search for either verbatim, ritek, ty, or maexll from now on.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Maxell has given me no problems. It's a very good overall manufacturer for both + and - formats. Just look for made in JAPAN on those wrappers to find the really good stuff.I am quite fond of -4x yellowtops,some are made by ty and hitachi.Just look at those labels in the store.

Now you want some good stuff over the web,ritek and ty's,and verbatim datalife plus.

Sony +1-8x are working out great.The ones made in japan are coded yuden000-t02.Taiwan makes the same +1-8x and they seem pretty decent,but I'll take the jap ones over the thai's any day. I don't recommend the sony 4x,both - and +.

Like jerry says,cmc= crappola. Best to stay away from anythink with cmc in the code.