1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burner won't burn completely anymore

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pjack, Apr 13, 2005.

1. pjack

pjack Member

I have a lite on 16x +/-R DVD burner and have burned several movies. All of a sudden I'm not able to burn a complete movie anymore. I use Nero at 8x and the entire process is completed with a sucessful burn message but when I put the movie in my stand alone it stops anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes and starts over. I don't see any visible scratches on the disc. This is the same method I've always used. Nero for previously burned movies and Shrink and Nero for purchased DVD's.

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Without changing anything on your PC, use the same media and burn one at 2x and/or 4x and see if it makes a difference.

I burn all my DVDs at 2x, because even at 4x they will freeze and jam near the end, even with Ridata (RitekG04) media.

In DVDShrink I also set the size to 4300 (Default is 4464) so I don't burn too close to the edge of the media.

If a 2x burn doesn't work better, then start looking at your burner/hardware and software.

My 2 cents...

3. pjack

pjack Member

Thanks Cougar_ii, I'm at work right now but will try it as soon as I get home

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What brand media are you useing?

5. pjack

pjack Member

Memorex

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I was afraid of that. Memorex is one of the most unrecommended brands of media there is. All you're buying is the name. They don't actually make any media. They farm it out to the lowest bidder. Some of the companys that make the media for memorex are good, some are ok, but most are bad (very inconsistant) and you never know what you are going to get from batch to batch. Do a search on this forum for memorex and you'll see what I mean.

I would try some Maxell, Fuji, or Sony media (from your local store) or Verbatum DataLifePlus, or Taiyo Yuden (online stores).

I would start out burning at 4x and if that seems to work well on several burns then try some burns at 6x or 8x if you want.

Most here keep our burns to 4x to assure fewer burn errors and there's not much time difference anyway especially when you consider 7 more minutes vs having to reburn the whole project.

7. pjack

pjack Member

Thanks Mort81, I'm gonna pick up some today and try them with slower burning. Thanks again.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You're very welcome pjack and welcome to AD.

I didn't mention this but lite-ons actually perform a little better with +r media but +r is not as compatable as -r in most set top dvd players. There is another trick that can be done with +r media and your litey called bitsetting that will make you backups even more compatable than -r but untill you get the hang of it I would stay with some good quality -r media. PM me when you get the hang of things and I'll explain booktyping +r media to dvd-rom.

Here is a free utility you can use to see who actually made you're media and the MID code.http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

9. pjack

pjack Member

Thanks again Mort81 and cougar_ii. You were very helpful. I slowed my burner down to 4x and tried the Maxell +R's and everything went fine. This couldn't have been a better time to find out about the media because staples has the 50 pack of Maxell DVD+/-R's for $17.96. I agree the +R's burn better with my lite-on because I also got some -R's and ran into a few problems.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You're welcome pjack, we've all been there. Glad to see you're up n runnin.

Mort