1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning 4X riteks faster then 4X?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Bfizzle4, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Bfizzle4

Bfizzle4 Member

I was searching around but I couldn't seem to find my answer concerning the overburrning of ritek media. I have got the idea from reading that riteks 4X can be burned faster, but how do you do that? Do you need special software or can it be done in DVD Decrypter? If it is of any help I have a lite-on 812s and have been using ritek ridata 4X DVD+R's. They burn fine, but I'm greedy. If I can burn them faster I would like too.

Thanks

2. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

I think it depends on your burner. If you have a pioneer 107d, you can burn them at 8x with no problem.

3. Bfizzle4

Bfizzle4 Member

so doom, you are saying that only one kind of burner can do this?

4. Bfizzle4

Bfizzle4 Member

is anyone else knowledgeable in this subject?

5. tomripley

tomripley Member

I don't own a Lite-On myself, but you would probably need to upgrade your firmware. I don't know if the official versions will allow it, but there's likely to be a hacked version that will...

You can find both official and unofficial firmware here:
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

You might also find this Lite-On forum useful:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Do be aware, though, that burning the media at 8x instead of 4x will most likely result in a lower quality burn. Not that it will be bad, it just isn't likely to be as good as one done at 4x.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  6. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

No, i'm not saying only one burner can do it but I know that pioneer 107d can do it with the hacked firmware plus at 12x ripping speeds. If you get a pioneer 108, you can burn even faster and rip just as fast with the firmware that comes with the drive. Thats just my own experience with dvd burners so far.

7. Bfizzle4

Bfizzle4 Member

thanks for the info tom

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Bfizzle4, Ritek 4X DVD+Rs are capable of being burned up to 8X, but it depends on your burner and firmware. Also, it seems RICOHJPN and the better media like Taiyo Yuden can burn above their rated speed. You can find out by checking your DVD media using Nero CD-DVD Speed or DVDInfo or my favorite now, Plextor's free CDVDInfo (http://www.plextor.be/download/ftp1/CDVDInfo.zip) Nero won't even allow you to adjust and burn at a higher speed if the media isn't capable of it.

Here's what my Ritek Ridata 4X DVD+R says:

Type : DVD+R
    Certified Write Speed: 2.4 X - 4.0 X
    Drive Write Speed : 2.4 X - 4.0 X - 6.0 X - 8.0 X
    Manufacturer ID : RICOHJPN
    Media ID : R01
    Product Revision : 02

BTW, my burner is a Plextor 712A 12X speed burner.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004