1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning 5.1 + Stereo (both options offered in the menu)

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Quijotef, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Quijotef

Quijotef Member

Hi, Everybody,

I am trying to figure out how to burn a dvd (with my own music and video coming from Avid) with both 5.1 and stereo options. I am using Nero 8 (nero vision) and it seems I can only choose one option. The idea is to make a dvd in which the menu will offer 5.1 and stereo - I guess it is normally done by using the same video with a different audio file, and not burning two different complete files.

Help will be appreciated

Thanks,

Q

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I am not familiar with Nero, as it is not - IMHO - a proper DVD-Video authoring tool.
    What you really need is something like Media Chance Labs DVD-Lab Pro.
    There is a 30 day trial version, fully functional.
    You have 2 ways to go about this job.
    1 - Separate 5.1 & Stereo files on the same timeline.
    2 - Just a 5.1 file, but with downmix coefficients set up for stereo playback.
    Option 2 is a compromise, and not recommended.
    Option 1 requires a DVD Authoring application that can assign multiple audio streams to any video file.
    DVD-Lab Pro is the cheapest - and one of the best regardless of price too. Audio Stream #1 must be either LPCM or Dolby Digital. You cannot use MP2 or DTS as Audio Stream #1.
    Trying to use 2 video files will require a multi-VTS authoring tool as well - every title in a VTS must have the same audio types.
    So, in VTS 1 you may have a video containing up to 8 audio streams. If stream #1 is LPCM 16/48, and stream 2 is DTS this is legal.
    Film #2 might have Dolby Digital stereo and Dolby Digital surround. This would need to go into a different VTS or else your compile will fail. Abstraction Layer tools will organize all this for you, but the downside is that most AL tools do not allow multiple audio streams.
    Adobe's EncoreDVD will, and so will Apple's DVDSP.

What platform are you on?

3. attar

attar Senior member

DVD Flick can create DVD files from elementary video and audio streams.
    I have also used it to add a secondary audio track (demuxed from another source) to an existing DVD compilation.

4. Quijotef

Quijotef Member

Thank you both for the valuable answers.

Wilkes: I use PC with (unfortumately) VISTA. I will download DVD-Lab and give it a try.

However, I only asked about the possibility of including two videos because I was not sure if, for having both 5.1 and stereo, I needed two copies of the video. Now I know that I do not need and apparently the user's chosen audio track is attached to the same video copy.

Thanks again,

Q

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

DVD-Lab won't work reliably on Vista at all.
    It may partly work, it may not. It's certainly not officially supported.

6. Quijotef

Quijotef Member

HI,

Any idea for software that will work on Vista? The only actual feature I need (and is apparently missing in Nero 8.0) is burning both 5.1 and stereo (and having that appear as an option in the Menu).

Thanks,

Q