1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning 8x dvd's taking 10 x longer than usual

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jayquik03, Feb 7, 2005.

1. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

My dvd burner and program are running reakky slow when i use them my computer runs like a snal i never had this problem before untill yesterday burning dvd's at 8x takes half an hour now when the time runs out on nero the program keeps going because it's only at 8 percent also when i'm typing the words take a good few seconds to show up so if this message is a little iffy i'm sorry i'm running windows xp with 1024 mb or ram and i turned off all my virus protectors and everything else just running nero i've never had problems like this i've been on afterdawn for a bit now some of you probably know me for the last week i've been getting the blue screen of death and i havent doone anything diffrent on my computer i installed a new video card last month and de installed it today when i started getting these problems now i'm ussing the on board vid card and no blue screen yet but still really really slow any help would be usful thanks in advance jay(*

2. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

i had the same problem and nobody new the problem. i found many post on the problem but they didn't work except for one which i forget which one it was but they said to:

1) Click Start and Run
    2) Type in msconfig and click ok
    3) Click on the services tab
    4) Check [bold]Hide All Microsoft Services[/bold]
    5) Click on the disable all button and then reset if necessary.

After that my computer sped up faster than ever before.

3. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

thanks for the reply just tried it but no luck any other suggestions

4. hawaii808

hawaii808 Guest

Check dma, Ide controllers, my computer, properties, hareware, device manager, ide controllers, shoudn't be set to pios, usually the problem on slow burning, Ide 1 usually hard drives, Ide 2 optical drives should all be set to dma. Installed second hard drive recently?. Worth a check

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml)

The link above gets you to a freeware program called filemon.exe. This will show you exactly what is running in the background. This will also show all windows operations, any programs trying to access the internet, etc. and exactly where they are located on your PC. Just write down programs that look like they take forever and post them here.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

jayquik03

Any luck with your problem so far?

7. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Sounds like device driver problems to me?

When you uninstalled the video card, did you make sure to get rid of all the device drivers?

Also, what about IRQ conflicts?

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Boy you got all kinds of problems... Did you make sure you uninstalled all your video card drivers? When you installed your new video card you needed to go into your CMOS and disable your on board video thats probably why you had the blue BSOD before your cards were conflicting. Try this re-boot your computer in safe mode "Continue to hit the F8 key before windows boots" then try burning something then. If it works fine then your problem is with your devise drivers. I would recommend going into your device manager and deleting all your video, sound, IDE controllers ect... Then restart windows and let it reload the correct drivers.

9. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

I did uninstall my old drivers they wernt the on board ones. But I'm using the onboard ones right now I reinstalled windows totally and still got the bsod 2 times so far but it's not as bad as it was burning speeds are up again hoping that i dont get it anymore the bsod was the kernal inpage error one and i did a dskchk (diskcheck) and at the very end of it after like half an hour i got this error

Stop: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error
    Unknown Hard Error

Any ideas? thanks for all the input...

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You did a disk check on what? HD or the DVD?

If that's your HD then you will have problems. Did you reformat when you re-loaded Windows or did you just re-install? You should do a format of the HD and do a clean install this may fix your problem, but it is also possible your HD is going bad.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It does sound like a possible HD problem since you were doing an error check on the disk when you got the message. It might be another hardware issue so a minimum of hardware at boot might help before you retry error checking on your HD. You could disconnect everything possible except your HD and even just a basic stick of memory before retrying.

12. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

I was doing it on the disk (the disk check) and I got that error hard drive is still pretty new I formatted the harddrive before installing windows again. and did a full install rebuild. I dont seem to have many problems anymore thanks

13. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

I was doing it on the disk (the disk check) and I got that error hard drive is still pretty new I formatted the harddrive before installing windows again. and did a full install rebuild. I dont seem to have many problems anymore thanks