1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning a downloaded file to a dvd-r

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mbay, Jan 27, 2008.

1. mbay

mbay Member

Hi im a newbie and im trying to burn a downloaded file to a dvd-r. Ive tried to burn it as a .img with imgburn, also ive changed the extension to .iso and tried it with nero 6. Finally, ive converted the files to VOB IFO and BUP in a video_ts folder with dvdfab decrypter and tried to burn them with nero express. All of these methods say the burn was succesful but when i put them in the dvd player it will not work. i dont have this problem with files that ive backed up and burned

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What kind of file did you download( I am a bit curious when you say you converted with DVDFab Decrypter).
    Simply renaming to ISO won't work.
    What is the file extension of your downloads?

3. mbay

mbay Member

the download was an rar file and i extracted it with winrar which made it an .img file. sorry i didnt mention that. one time i used dvdfab decrypter to convert the .img file to VOB IFO and BUP files and as i said that didnt work

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Do you have any of the following:
    DVD Decrypter
    Nero
    ImgBurn?
    How big is the img file?Any of these will burn your IMG file to a disc.You don't have to convert anything. If you don't have any of thse applications, download ImgBurn. It is free and one of the best burning software.

5. mbay

mbay Member

yes i have all three of those and imgburn said the burn was successful. i then tried to play it in one of my dvd players and it worked but when i tried it in another dvd player it wouldnt work. the file is about 4.5 GB

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If the file is too big (4.5 GB is too much, it should be about 4,3GB), the disc could be unlpayable in some players, or skip, freeze, pixelate.
    You can use DVD Shrink to shrink it. Are you familiar with DVD Shrink?
    Also, what discs do you use to burn the compilation onto? Is your burner's formware up to date?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  7. mbay

mbay Member

yes I have dvd shrink but I use it to backup. I never used it with this download because I thought that the size was ok. The discs are sony dvd-r 4.7 GB. Is it possible that the file that I downloaded is not playable in some players no matter what size it is? Should I try to use dvd shrink and then burn it to see if it works? How do I check the formware?

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

To look for firmware updates, load ImgBurn and click Tools (menu at the top) -> Drive -> Check for firmware updates.

With DVD Shrink, you go to file and open the image that you downloaded, and then shrink it to 4.3GB:
    [​IMG]

9. mbay

mbay Member

ok thanks a lot for all your help ill try it and let you know how it comes out.

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

okey dokey. When you burn, don't burn faster tha X6 or X8(if your discs are X16)

11. mbay

mbay Member

ok thanks i always do 4X anyway

12. mbay

mbay Member

cyprus! it didnt work. I shrunk it to 4.3 GB and burned with nero and it still won't play. There was a message that popped up on the tv and said check your tv settings. do you think that might mean that it's the tv that is the problem? or the player possibly?

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It is possible that you have a PAL movie and trying to play it in a NTSC region player or vice-versa.
    Download GSpot. Open one of the VOB files from the DVD in Gspot and will tell you what region is encodend to.
    If is not the proper region, you'd have to convert it.

14. mbay

mbay Member

ok I think it is a PAL should I convert it to NTSC and burn again? Also how to I convert to NTSC?

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Where are you situated? If you are in Region 1, then it needs to be Ntsc.

As for converting...you can use Nero Vision if you have it, or DVD Flick to reencode to a NTSC format.You load all the VOB files into the project and then make a new DVD Video, NTSC.If you want you can merge the VOB files before hand for seamless transition.

16. mbay

mbay Member

ok thanks again for your help. I might be a little busy for a while but ill try that stuff when i get a chance and let you know

17. mbay

mbay Member

cyrusrom...Judging by everything that I am reading it seems that it is a hassle to convert the menu's to NTSC. Can you offer any easy way to do this? If not, the main movie will be just fine.

18. mbay

mbay Member

ok so i made the files NTSC using dvdflick and burned using nero express then when i put it in the dvd player it shows the folders but the movie doesnt start...sorry if im bugging u a lot

19. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

20. mbay

mbay Member

sweet! it worked with imgburn but I lost some quality. I guess that's to be expected. Last question though...Is there any way not to lose quality?