1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TxDuB, Nov 8, 2004.

1. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

Arghh.. i tried everything... Using the Decrypter... but it doesnt work it keeps saying that the file doesnt support that type of file and when i use DVD shrinker i get the same thing... what am i doing wrong... i downloaded NERO too and then i got Roxio and WINdvdx to burn it too but nothings working.... I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO USE NERO!!!! Help plz

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I need to know what you are doing, your steps. How did you use these apps? I have 2 simple guides I wrote using shrink w/ decrypter or nero to burn, and a nero recode guide using decrypter to rip.

I'll go ahead and give you the shrink guide, let me know if you want the nero recode guide also, they work closely the same.

One thing, before we get started you need to completely remove Roxio. It doesn't like to share and will cause problems with other DVD software. It's also hard to remove, it likes to leave remnants which can still cause problems(bad move putting it on your PC, but you didn't know, right? LOL)

Use this tool to rid yourself of Roxio after using add/remove in your control panel:

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Make sure you get good media, this is extremely important! get Ritek G04 4x or G05 8x -R or get Ritek Ridata 4x +R here. Make sure it's "branded" and never burn at over 4x!

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-g04-dvd-r-dvde-blank-media-disc-discs.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's the shrink guide, follow it to the letter, it's fairly simple:

1-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

Good luck :>)

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

One thing I forgot, Shrink will automatically open nero or Decrypter to burn so you don't have to open them, however you do have to choose your burner in them if you haven't already....

For Decrypter:

Open decrypter, click on mode, drop down to ISO, across to write and then click on it. Then at the bottom chosse your burner you want Decrypter to use.

That's it, close Decrypter, you don't have to open Decrypter anymore.

For nero:

Open Startsmart then click on Burning Rom or Nero Express and at the top of the window, you will see a drop down menu for your drive options. Choose your burner. It doesn't matter which app you open, changing to your burner in one will also change it in the other.

Now, close Nero, that's it, you don't have to open nero any more.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  4. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

Okay this is what i did i was looking around the forums and i've seen that scubapete has told people to download shrink and decryptor so i did and i dont know how to use either so i was playing around with it and i guess with the shrink i uploaded the whole DVD onto my hard drive and then i attempted to burn it thinking i broke the seal, which didnt work by the way.. so it didnt work and then i just used shrink to try n burn my cd but an error pops up it says:that i need a DVD+R but i have a DVD-R [whats the difference by the way] so can is there any other way where i can burn it using my Type of cd or do i have to go out and spend another 50 on some DVDs +R..

I also got rid of ROXIO and it came on my computer like that.. now im lost and dont know what to do and thanks for helping me by the way

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Check your burner here and see if it only burns DVD +R, most of the new ones burn both.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters

If it does, you'll have to buy +R. You need good media before you start. You could buy an RW to work with until you get it right. I gave you a link for good media.

We'll get you going, just check this link for your burner's compatibility. + and - is a format, that's all. RW means you can burn over it again :>)

6. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

Uhmm.. minor error.. my is built into my laptop its an HP.. its a DVD/CD Burner and i put in mah Software in it too..

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, Download dvdinfopro, t's free, extremely handy, does all kinds of neat stuff, put it on your desktop.

Open it, click on drive, choose your driver in the bottom left corner and look to see what format your drive can support.

Then you'll know if you need to buy new media. BTW, what brand of media do you have right now?

You can also use it to analyze your media and a bunch of other stuff.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Also, with only one drive you'll have to write all your work or files to your hard drive first and then use those files to write to the dvd media.

9. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

i got fujifilm DVD-R... i dont know if its good or not it has 4.73GB and yes the movie i want is in a folder on my desktop.. and where do i dl dvdinfo?

10. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

here are computer specs i dont know if they'll do you any good thuogh..

Processor
    Pop-up window displaying more information Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with HT Technology 3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB and 512KB L2 Cache
    Operating system
    Pop-up window displaying more information Windows XP Home
    Memory
    Pop-up window displaying more information 1024MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 512MB) at 333MHz; maximum memory 1536MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 512MB, 1 x 1024MB)
    Graphics card
    Pop-up window displaying more information ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9600 with 128MB DDR (dedicated)
    Hard drive
    Pop-up window displaying more information 80GB Enhanced IDE [gigabyte is defined as 1,000,000,000 bytes, accessible capacity may vary]
    Primary CD/DVD drive
    Pop-up window displaying more information DVD+R/RW and CD-RW combo drive
    Display
    Pop-up window displaying more information 15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView widescreen (1280 x 800) display
    Wireless connectivity
    Pop-up window displaying more information 54g™ Integrated 802.11b/g wireless LAN
    Digital media
    Pop-up window displaying more information 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro or SmartMedia cards
    External ports
    Pop-up window displaying more information 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 notebook expansion port, 1 IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
    Communications
    Pop-up window displaying more information Integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector), integrated V.90/56K 56K modem (RJ-11 connector)
    Dimensions
    Pop-up window displaying more information 11.18 (L) (w/out hinge) to 11.59 (L) (w/hinge) x 14.25" (W) x 1.8" (H)
    Weight
    8.2 lb.
    Sound
    Pop-up window displaying more information Internal Harman Kardon® speakers; AC audio link, 16-bit Sound Blaster® Pro-compatible audio, volume control buttons and mute button

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

www.dvdinfopro.com

[bold] DVD+R/RW and CD-RW combo drive
    Display[/bold]

OK, your drive only supports +R,RW. Your fuji -R won't work. Everything else seems OK to do DVD work.

Make sure your ide settings are DMA, not PIO. To check these go to: control panel > performance and maintenance > administrative tools > computer management > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > click on + mark.

Right click on each driver and hit the advanced settings tab, under transfer mode pick "DMA if available". Done.

Improper resourse settings can cause hardware to malfunction or even disable it.

I suggest you get the branded Ritek 4x +R,if you can't find them, order them at the site I gave you above earlier, you'll get 'em in 2-3 days.

You might want to pick up a +RW to work with til they get there, just so you can get the process down pat, thus no coasters.

You should be set to go :>)

12. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

I havent been able to get to the mall or anything yet and i dont have a credit card to buy it offline.. if they dont happen to have ritek [i never heard of it] are bradnds like memorex sony pny or imation okay or are those really bad? and how do you know if its good or bad media?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold] memorex sony pny or imation okay or are those really bad? and how do you know if its good or bad media[/bold]

All the above suck! with the possible exception of Sony. WalMart sells verbatim,(the ones that look like Reel to Reels). TDK if made by MCC is OK, No doubt you will get your best deals off the net, you can use a debit card if you don't have a credit card.

How do you know what's bad or good, read and ask the forum. It's VERY important to get good media, I promise you, a bunch of coasters isn't gonna make you happy, or how about they work now but not a year from now?

14. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... If you have to go to WalMart, get Maxell ... WalMart has them for a reasonable price and, at least to date, uses good manufacturers ... Maxell is the BEST store brand DVD ...

15. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

i dont have any sort of debit either im only 17... so my best solution would be either verbatim [i thought it sucked, i use it for my CD+R's] or Maxell or Sony...

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Then I would agree with catfreak, Maxell and the Verbatim that look like reel to reels.

17. TxDuB

TxDuB Guest

oh iite thanks sorry for the late reply been very busy thanks for all your help.. but i got another q... i dont know if this would apply but you know how you download DVDs into 2 different files how would i put them together? and fit them on one disc... and do you know where i can get dvd quality movies? am i even allowed to ask this?

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

There are several apps that will combine DVD's. Dvd2One, Shrink, DvdReMake, etc. I like DvdReMake and NVE(NeroVisionExpress). Both will allow you to have a menu to go to each file. With NVE you can create a custom menu and set your own chapters.

19. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

I "BACKUPED" 3 MOVIES SO FAR USING #1 DECRYPTOR, #2 SHRINK, HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO REMOVE STUFF, CEPT FOR UNTICKING THE OTHER LANGUAGES BESIDES ENGLISH, AND KEEPING 5.1. EVERYONE CAME OUT AS PERFECT AS ONE COULD WANT, MENU, EXTRAS, FULL 5.1....YOUR GUIDES ARE AMAZING.

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

bklyn1028,

I'm glad you got it working, but you can remove languages automatically under step 7 in the above guide. Steps 4-7 show you how to edit. Step 6 shows you how to re-author and keep only what you want without a menu. Also, sometimes if you only keep 5.1 you will lose the audio on your extras and commentary.

BTW, the mods will reprimand you for using all caps, it's against forum rules and much harder to read. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up on that :>)