1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a DVD video with data

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by pinkani, Oct 10, 2004.

1. pinkani

pinkani Member

Hi,
    I seem to have came across DVD videos that play on set top DVD players but also contain additional data, like programs that can execute on the PC. Does anyone knows how to burn such a DVD?

Thanks

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Never heard of this one. Where did you get these discs? How do you know there are additional ROM files on the disc since you either have a DVD video disc OR a DVD Rom disc? More info please.

3. robguy

robguy Member

The best way to back up those kinds of DVDs (such as is seen on Lord of the Rings DVD, where they want you to go to a Web site for additional goodies, etc.) is to not copy those programs. Many newer DVDs have this "PC friendly" approach. It's just a marketing tool.

AnyDVD is one program that will mark those PC autorun programs so they're not copied or run when you back up your DVD (more info is at www.slysoft.com).

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You can avoid backing up extra files by using DVD Shrink and the re-author setting.

5. pinkani

pinkani Member

This is good info. But looks like I did not ask the question correctly. My intention is to create a DVD Video that contains data files. When I tried to drag data files into Nero Express during the creation of a DVD Video, Express refused to do it. I'm wondering if the full version of Nero, or some other burning software, would be able to do it?
    Thanks.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You should alwyas use Nero Burning Rom as apposed to Express. You can only create a DVD Video with compatible files which are composed of VOB, ISO and BUP files. That's why I advised you to try DVD Shrink since it should tell you all files present after initial analysis and you can then tell if those files are present and compatible or missing. If they are present then Shrink should be able to back-up the entire disc and burn to disc automatically using nero. You can alternatively use DVD Decrypter to analyse the disc and rip to your hard drive.

7. pinkani

pinkani Member

My data source is DV home video and I use an authoring software to render the DV to DVD compatible files. If I drag these files to Nero Express, it would burn for me a nice DVD Video that I can play on my set-top player. No problem.
    However, I do have other low quality avi files that I would like to store onto the same DVD Video disc. They are to be played on the PC in a small window. Express would complain when I drag those files in. My question is - is it possible to save non DVD compatible files onto a DVD Video disc?
    Thanks.

8. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Unfortunately the answer is no. You can only put DVD compliant files (VOB,BUP & ISO) on to a DVD Video disc.

9. OzMick

OzMick Guest

If my memory serves, I was playing with the Adobe Encore trial six months ago or so, and there was a section where you could in fact include data files for the PC. I never actually did it myself, but I distinctly recall seeing this options somewhere, so it CAN BE DONE. Get your hands on the demo version of Encore, or you might need to keep searching for a more free solution to the problem. I hope this better answers your question.

10. OzMick

OzMick Guest

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=76

150mb, so a bit sizey, but it is powerful, if a bit memory hungry. Personally, I wouldn't buy it either, there are tools that can get a similar job done for free, but I don't know whether they can do what you want (or quite as easily at least).

11. Discmania

Discmania Active member

12. pinkani

pinkani Member

I have done it. In Nero Burning Rom, choose a new DVD-ROM UDF/ISO compilation. Manually create "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" folders at the root directory and put the DVD-Video files into VIDEO_TS folder. Any additional folders can be created and any files can be dropped into the compilation. After burning, I was able to play the DVD disc on my set-top machine as well as read the data files from my PC.
    I have also seen some other DVD burning applications that claim to be able to compile such hybrid DVD.