1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a DVD with linux op system

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by stalag305, Sep 13, 2008.

1. stalag305

stalag305 Member

I am looking to install a linux based op system and was wonder if anyone has burned a dvd using this op system and what software you may have used
    Thanks
    Pete

2. otacon653

otacon653 Member

Wow, now that is hard to answer.

Personally I use Archlinux, so the programs easiest for me to get are right in the pacman setting.

I don't recommend archlinux to beginning linux users though.

I know that my gui came with a dvd burner.

Could you tell me what type of linux you are aiming at. It is hard to recommend one when I don't know what installation method the os uses.

One program easy for me to install and use could be a pain in the but for you if you have to build and compile it from source.

3. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

ImgBurn works great in wine. Thats what I use.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

wine again?... linux dvd authoring is really simple..

DeVeDe to make your iso and k3b to burn.

5. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

The main reason I use Imgburn on linux, and not a linux app is because Imburn allows me to booktype my DVDs as DVD-Rom. I don't think a Linux burning application exists that incorporates booktyping for DVDs--at least I haven't found one.

6. varnull

varnull Guest

You can set it in the firmware options in most modified firmwares if the burner actually supports it.

If a disk needs to be -r then that's what I burn on.. never mind the dual layer crap ;).. whatever.. the OP didn't ask about booktyping, but how to burn a dvd on linux.. we answered and that's all that matters.

Booktyping is in the todo list for k3b, but there doesn't seem to be much call for it as modified firmwares (or firmware controls) deal with the issue for those who need it. It all depends on the drive as much as anything.. For now you can't do this in k3b but you can do it from the cli. you'll need to install the newest dvd+rw tools and check these links out. http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

and

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?aid=42&hl=bitsetting

not forgetting your burner also needs to do it..good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008