1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a dvd with Nero!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by scottvf, Jun 29, 2003.

1. scottvf

scottvf Guest

I've seen a lot of people having trouble burning with nero, so here is the best way to do it.
    1. Start Nero
    2. Select DVD-Rom (UDF/ISO)
    3. Make sure ISO Level 1 is ticked, ISO 9660 is ticked, and every thing else is unticked.
    4. Select New
    5. Drag your empty AUDIO_TS folder and your VIDEO_TS Folder (filled with your files) to the left window, under new
    6. Click on Burn
    7. Click UDF tab and make sure physical Partition is choosen and UDF 1.02. Force DVD in unticked.
    8. Click label tab and name your dvd with what you want. Must use caps and only _ for spaces (example - SUPERMAN_1)
    9. Click Write
    10. Enjoy Movie

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2003
  2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

This is all very well if you want a Data DVD to play on your PC but if you just want the movie I simply use the wizard to DVD Video then click on 'new - video' then drag the files and burn - much quicker. UDF is not necessary for burning movies.

3. scottvf

scottvf Guest

The Wizard only burns them in UDF 1.50 not 1.02. And some dvd players will only play 1.02 and not 1.50. But if you have a player that plays 1.50 it will also play 1.02.
    ** It makes it the most compatable doing it this way. **

4. ABMone

ABMone Guest

everybody knows that NERO's wizard sucks
    dont they...

5. scottvf

scottvf Guest

I guess Discmania doesn't ... lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2003
  6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

There is no universal burning program - especially NOT nero...

I do agree with what scottvf is saying.

The UDF 1.02 is the original format of dvd - however ALOT of older models WILL not play the UDF/ISO option within nero - I have carried out extensive testing....

For older models the UDF only option was the ONLY successful way I could get LG standalones to play the discs, aswell as older toshiba etc...

It is funny really that people experience nero to be hit and miss - me being one of them.

However I now use recordnowmax - no issues with this what so ever - I have had 100% compatibility......

The nero debate will always remain ongoing.

If it works for you - it may not work for someone else - use these as guides and NOT the UNIVERSAL tool......

Sometimes trial and error comes into it - I did this and have found a 100% compatible way FOR ME...

Just thought I would add this - probably will invite some more comments...LOL

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

The wizard works fine for me. How did you find out that some players only play UDF 1.2?

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

By testing them.

I basically have 5 standalones at home:
    Lecson dv900
    cyberhome 402
    PS2
    Philips dvdr800
    LG 3200e
    and other cheapos, which play anything you chuck in them....broken repaired players...

Now the bitch of the bunch was the LG3200e
    - it would not play using nero options:
    dvd video - no
    dvd UDF/ISO - no
    dvd UDF only - yes

The UDF only worked for ALL of my players.
    The DVDVIDEO was hit and miss - sometimes ok sometimes not.
    The UDF/ISO was ok for 4 out of 5 - but not the LG.

The UDF option gave me a universal bed to play in all players (media was not an issue)

However, they have been tested in others like Toshiba, Sony etc and sometimes the UDF did not work - sometime it did!!!!!!!!!!!

Confusing eh........

Too confusing for me in the end......

Well I then changed to Recordnowmax - No compatibility issues now at all, no multiple options to choose from, just a couple of easy steps and your good......

Basically now all I do to burn is:
    Open recnowmax
    Select data
    Enter dvd name
    Add VIDEO_TS folder
    Hit burn - done....................Simple......

9. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

baabaa is absolutely right...

10. scottvf

scottvf Guest

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes the main factor is the player - how it's firmware is configured.

Also is probably software - how it was written/processed.

My philips standalone recorder +r, the discs produced in this has played in ALL of my other standalones, inc +rw.....

My conclusion is the standalone recorder does not use ANY software generated by companies such as nero/recnowmax.

So if there were to be a common standard across the board - then in theory ALL software would be compatible if they followed the same standards - this evidently is not the case.

Well nero was too hit and miss for me - recnowmax is tops for me.......

Hope this helped.

12. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I can understand the probs but Nero has and is trying to make compatibility less of a problem. The latest update has gone some way to doing this. I agree that whatever works for you is always best to stick to. Personally the DVD Video option will play on my Stand alone player and on three others providing I don't use a certain type of disc. UDF means no play at all so I only use it for Data. I should mention that I always get a constant 100% burn rate with Nero, regardless of media so needless to say there is no point in changing it.

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes discmania, like alot of others, nero is a good program and works for them also.

Your process works for you, and probably others use the same process.

I have not got the latest update of nero, so I cannot comment on that, and yes I agree nero have done a few more updates to resolve the compatibility issue....and maybe they would now work for me.

I must admit, it would be great if a universal burning program was released.

Recordnowmax I think is very close to be universal - but obviously there are literally hundreds/thousands of different dvd players, so to be able to test them on EVERY player would be quite a feat - but would never happen.

Anyways - if the process works for you and your players then that is the method for you.

Sometimes a few trials are worthwhile, to see which is best......

Also what I forgot to mention - media can also be an issue and if your standalone laser is kickin it...

14. scottvf

scottvf Guest

15. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Is there any way to tell whether a disc was burned at UDF 1.20 or UDF 1.50 after the fact? I have an LG standalone that plays all of my DVD-Rs fine (burned with CopytoDVD) but will not accept NERO discs burned via the Wizard process.
    However, a friend just gave me his old LG 3530 (surround sound) and it will only read one of my DVD-r discs -> one I didn't burn and I don't know how it was burnt.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  16. smg

smg Regular member

Baabaa? Would you reply in this thread the steps to use when using RecordNowMax than an idiot can understand? I mean, like as simply worded as humanly possible and not leave out the tinest detail? You are just about the only person I think who uses RecordNowMax. I have it and want to be able to use it. I also have NERO, but don't want to use it as I can't afford to make coasters (I enough of those already for my tea) :)
    If you can insert pictures somehow, that would really be great, but if not, at least a text that I could understand would be better than nothing at all. Thank you alot if you can/do.

17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Already done smg.

Goto www.chrismccann.co.uk and click on the recordnowmax link.

The site is still under construction, but the recnowmax link is running.

Good simple step by step guide including screenshots.

The good thing about this is if you have the setup like the one in the guide all you need to is:

Open recnowmax
    Insert blank dvd
    Select data
    enter name of dvd
    select speed to burn
    add VIDEO_TS folder
    and BURN...........simple

Have a look at the guide, any probs let me know

18. smg

smg Regular member

Thank you baabaa. You have been a tremendous help.
    God Bless You

19. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I hope it was of some use.

That is my setup, and now all I do is the following:

Open recnowmax
    Insert blank dvd
    Select data
    enter name of dvd
    select speed to burn
    add VIDEO_TS folder
    and BURN...........simple

super burns each time.

I use the grandpa of burners the old faithful pioneer A03 - updated to 2x burn.

Still going strong aswell.....(touch wood)

Glad I could help.....

20. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Yo! make sure you set it to "new volume". I dunno if that makes a difference but the default, I think is "load last track" or sumthin'.

I got a coaster once with the Pioneer A05 and record now max. Dirty disc error. I think the problem was that I was surfing online and downloading something at the same time. Not sure if that was the cause, but I ain't gonna be doing that any more.