1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning A PERFECT copy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mmcginn, Jun 24, 2007.

1. mmcginn

mmcginn Member

hey guys, ive been burning dvds for awhile now using fab/shrink/burnimg , however, i am getting tired of not having a menu with the scenes. How do i burn a PERFECT copy of ANY dvd?

Thanks
    Matt

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you rip the full disk with DVD Fab and open the files in Shrink, it defaults to keeping the menu.

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

4. mmcginn

mmcginn Member

right, thats what i do now, and then i click reauthor. however, if i just hit backup and compress the menu manually, the menu gets all blurry when i burn it like that

any suggestions???

thanks

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

again, dont use RE-author and just use Full disc option and the menus will look fine

6. mmcginn

mmcginn Member

oh my bad on that last post, it looks like i might have left my message one minute after your last one and didnt get a chance to read the previous one.

1 question however: if the dvd is a bigger one (like lord of the rings or something) will it still fit?

7. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

If you use DVD Shrink, it should. Shrink is designed to compress the files to fit unto a DVD5 (4.7Gb) disc. But also note, the more you compress, the more you take away from the quality of the movie.

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

when doing dvd that are very long it helps a lot when you have the quality enhancements checked, also you can uncheck audio and Subtitles you dont need to help compression(you only need the AC3 5.1 channel audio)

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The best suggestion I could give here especially for a larger movie is to just get some dual layer DVD's that is the only real way to get a perfect copy. Shrink will work, but the quality isn't going to very good on a movie like LOR (if even watchable) All you would need to do then is rip the entire movie as an ISO with Fab Decrypter and burn with ImgBurn.

10. des5576

des5576 Guest

Hi ive copied all 3 LOR FILMS onto normal dvd with shrink and the quality s perfect

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The entire DVD with extras and all?? I very highly doubt it is perfect no matter what you copied though. You might think it is perfect, but what size TV are you watching it on? If you where to do the entire disk then I would go with using DVD Rebuilder.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I couldn't agree more bbmayo. there's no way a full backup of LOTR can be perfect using dvd shrink and putting it all on one dvd5. dvd-rebuilder with an encoder will be as close to perfect as you're going to get.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi Mort :)

14. mmcginn

mmcginn Member

where can i get dual layer discs, and how do i burn onto them??

15. DVDdoug

DVDdoug Member

You can generally get them wherever you get single-layer blanks. Look for "DL' or "8.5GB". They usually cost $2 - $3 USD each, so "coasters" are expensive. For example - click here.

You also need a dual-layer burner. You can now find dual-layer burners for about the price of two audio CDs (~$30 USD)! For example - NewEgg.com.

With a dual-layer blank loaded into a dual-layer burner, your burning software should automatically detect the dual-layer DVD and the additional available disc space.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  16. mmcginn

mmcginn Member

wow! thanks a bunch for all the help! and that goes to everyone in AD, i love you guys!

so if i get a dual layer burner, and dual layer discs, i can just use fab/fix/shrink (shrink to backup the whole disc without doing a custom ratio) and then burnimg to get the perfect copy??

17. mmcginn

mmcginn Member

oh ya, does anybody know a certain "time max" on a cd that will fit on a single layer dvdr?? for example, 120 min movie/2hours could be the max to be able to backup perfectly when using shrink (including menus. ie - using the backup disc instead of reauthor).

and if i were to use dual layer, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks for all your help!

18. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

if you are gunna get DL media Verbatims are the best way to go

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

mmcginn,

For Dual layer backups it is much easier actually.

1. Rip original DVD to your hard drive
    2. Burn with ImgBurn

That’s really all there is to it. You could add an additional step in between them by running the files through FixVTS, but there is no need to run the files threw Shrink at all you would just be wasting time and doing additional encoding for nothing.

As far as dual layer disks go I would recommend Verbatim here are some for under $2 each Verbatim DL.
    I think Rima.com has them even a little cheaper. Here is also some good reading about DVD media and the differences VideoHelp. As far as how many minutes of video can you fit on each disk depends on the compression they work kind of the same as a standard VCR tape used if recording in a stand alone DVD player you are able to choose SP, LP, and EP. It's been a while and I am sure someone will correct this if I am wrong but if memory serves me correct at no compression and normal speed a DVD will hold 60min of video, but if you increase that to 90min you won’t notice much difference.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  20. mmcginn

mmcginn Member

thanks man! i love AD, haha you guys rock