1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning a ps2 game downloaded from utorrent

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ggxx, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ggxx

ggxx Member

i recently downloaded a ps2 game from utorrent. the folder contains 30 different .rar files containing the same thing. i extracted one of the files which turned out to be a 3,980,192kb img. file. i have swap magic 3.6 and a fliptop so im already pretty sure i'll be able to play it. but my problem is when i try to burn it an error pops up within the first couple seconds saying a number of things. but what caught my eye was the errors reading "illegal disc" and "could not perform start of Disc-at-once" when i try to burn it using Nero. im using a 4.7gb DVD-R. the dvd-r disk also says 1-16x on it but im not totally sure what that means or if it has anything to do with my problem. i've tried DVD decrypter, alcohol 120%, and nero but i get an error with each one. im not sure what im doing wrong, if i have the settings wrong, the dvd disk is the wrong type, or if i need to change the img. file to another type of file. i dont claim to know much when it comes to this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

you do not want to change the image file type, that would not be the problem.
    what brand is the media you use. Is it a good quality DVD?
    what speed are your burning the disc at?

3. ggxx

ggxx Member

ive tried every different speed nero allows. the disk brand is TDK im not sure if that has anything to do with its quality. and im not totally sure what you mean by media. i admit i am totally new to the whole ps2 game backup thing.

4. ggxx

ggxx Member

it just feels like something miniscule is wrong and something needs tweaking maybe. it could be the disk but ive been told dvd-r's are better for this type of thing. i open nero by double clicking the games image file. it takes me to the "dvd image" burn compilation. within about 1 second of it attempting to burn the error pops up. there arent many options to mess with but the different speeds are 1x, 2x, 2.4x and maximum. it wont let me change the write method btw

5. croy00

croy00 Member

Well the answer to your first question is on the DVD where it says 1-16X that means that your dvd is meant to be burnt anywhere from 1-16 times the read speed. So when you burn it you want to burn it at 8X. You probably don't want to tell people you stole the game and basically Alcohol won't burn it beacuse it is saying hey you stole this game illegally and are going to one day be caught and go to jail and fined up to a maximum of $250,000.00. Copy the game from an original cuz I mean at Walmart there are some bloody good games for under $10. I mean you could rent or borrow then but that is illegal too. 1 stolen $10 game...sweet the look on your mom and dad's face when they take you to jail and fine daddy $250G and he has to sell all of his life long possesions and can no longer support his family and must live in poverty for the rest of his and your life for one $10 game...priceless P.S. If you read the rules you will see that afterdawn does not condone the stealing or pirating of games.

6. ggxx

ggxx Member

i love how flavorfully dramatic you're little rant was. and how you somewhat acted out the role of my family and the trails that would entail if i was to be caught and punished for this pisspoor little "violation". anyways thanks for your feedback....lol i love the copy and paste "If you read the rules you will see that afterdawn does not condone the stealing or pirating of games". im sure that made your day. because i know you self righteous morons cant get enough of saying that. truth is piracy is the best thing since sliced bread we arent hurting anyone. the most were doing is costing whoever benifits from the legit purchase of the product a insignificant sum of money. and truth be told i couldnt care less. i like my money and i love free things even more. so when you're putting a face to the person you wish you were strangling remember it'd probably me smug as hell. "goodnight america"

7. sunburstX

sunburstX Member

Illegal disc does not mean that the game is illegal, lol.
    It has to do with your burner, it problably doesn't work well.
    Try burning something else, if it did work, then the Image is corrupted.
    If the Burner didn't burn something else, your DVD burner is broke.

PS: Are you sure you HAVA a DVD burner?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

wow, lots of hostility here today.

some things you can try
    1. a different brand of media. I suggest a good Verbatim 8X DVD-R
    just buy a small 3 pack to test them.
    2. see if your burner has any firmware updates available. This can help with better burn quality and media compatibility. (when i say media i mean your DVD's)

and i agree that the illegal disc message has nothing to do with an illegal copy of a game. List the brand and model number of your burner and i can look for firmware for you, and check out it's specs

9. ggxx

ggxx Member

its cool. i got a new set of dvd disks today and all works well. thanks for the feedback and the help.