1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning a second copy of the DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by memories, Jan 3, 2005.

1. memories

memories Member

I have just backed up a DVD movie following the guide by Scuba Pete using Shrink and Decrypter. The movie started out good and half way or so it started to freeze (stop and go) and eventually stayed frozen. On the assumption that the disc may have been bad, can I burn another copy from the backup on my HD (in my 'AllmyDVDwork' folder)? Thanks

2. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

Hello,

Over the past few years I have had a mixed results in copying a copy and I do not recommend it.

Try using CloneDVD2

Good luck

3. colw

colw Active member

If your backup on your hard disk plays OK there is no reason why you cannot just reburn it.

Assuming that you have a program such as Power DVD, Win DVD etc. you can check the quality of the movie on your hard drive.

If all OK - just reload and reburn.

Use quality media for your backups - do not use labels.

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

Just for reassurance, I have a hard drive which I use only for movie back-up files and there is at the moment 20 movies on it.
    From time to time the kids, I'll blame them...lol, muck up a copy of one of our movies, so I just burn off another one from the hard drive, no problems.
    I have been doing this for a year or so and have made several copyies of the same movie with no evident deteriation or problems.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello memories, that backup that freezes ,was probably burned on poor media or burned too fast.

How does that backup look on your pc player using the drive that burned it?

A high quality media is usually the cure along with a sensible 4x burn at max.

You should be able to reburn it if it is still on your hard drive.

I use high quality verbatim mcc003 for my important backups. When I want to make another copy off of that backup, I use nero express and copy from dvd,takes 15 minutes. Some of the cheaper media won't allow me to do this.

This is one of the many reasons to use High Quality media.
    Good Luck

6. dayspring

dayspring Guest

A few questions to posters on this topic.

1) [bold]bardie[/bold] can you tell me which software you use to reburn your movie. (I used decrpyter and the movie skiped and froze on Verbitam @4x)

2) I like to backup complete DVD to my hard drive in ISO format, will Shrink and Decrypter be able to backup complete DVD in File formate in subfolders i.e. Audio_TS & VIDEO_TS this will help when playing them from my hard drive as very few players play ISO

3) [bold]saugmon[/bold] I orignaly used Shrink to copy and Nero express to burn but on my first attempt it froze, after reading on this site you need Nero 6 and not express I swoped to Decrypter. Can I use nero express OEM (came with USB burner) to burn and copy-burn a 4.37Gb DVD

Regards
    Dayspring

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dayspring, to watch the hard drive files on pc, you probably have to use dvd decrypter in file mode,not iso mode. I don't care for decrypter,those larger movies still have to be compressed using shrink,so I stick with dvd shrink and nero.

The nero I have is nero version 6.0.0.18 ,something like that, it also is oem. It does have the express and this software came with my new tower. Nero has to be at least 6.0 and higher to work with dvd shrink. These 2 programs are all i used on 99% of my backups,re apacolype being the exception. Go into dvd shrink,edit,preferences- this has a box for enable burn with nero,just tick it. It then automatically pulls the nero burn engine after shrink encodes it. You also have to look in the screen after you hit backup,you have a target folder and a destination folder,the dvd burner drive must be in the top line to auto burn after encoding process.

With my dvd rom drive and dvd drive,I load up the original,and empty disc, open up shrink, reauthor,check backup settings, ok- and bam, a high quality reproduction in 20 mins to 1 hour.All i do is remove the discs when it is done.

But High quality media and slow burn speed is a must, it eliminates a lot of problems, especially in stand alone players,longevity and re-copying those backups.I know this from experience.

On your first attempt to burn with shrink and nero, the poor media or too fast burn speed likely culprit. Nero can be picky at times,there are things you have to watch out when you try to update it. That is why I leave it like it is. It came with your usb burner,If you still using usb burner,I am unfamiliar with them. I read lots of problems,especially if you only have usb 1.0

Are you using usb burner?
    Later

8. bardie

bardie Regular member

Hello Daysring, I use Nero to copy movies already on the hard drive, I also have used CopyToDVD, both work well for me.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

copytodvd,nero and dvd decrypter all have burn engines that work well with dvd shrink.Some people like one or the other, it is pretty much of what combination will work for you.

Some of the more experienced members have at least 10 different combinations,but the main program is dvd shrink.

Later