1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning at a really slow speed...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by beltline, Dec 7, 2004.

1. beltline

beltline Regular member

I can't seem to get DVD decryptor to burn at more than 1.2x-1.3x (1600-1700kbps). I am using a Toshiba SD-R5272 8x DVD-/+R recorder with TYG02 8x DVD-R media. My computer has two Maxtor Ultra ATA hard drives, 80GB and 160GB. Both hard drives are at least half empty. I have a Pentium 4 2.8ghz cpu with 768 megs of Dual DDR memory and I am running Windows XP. I do absolutely no downloading to the computer as it is not even connected to the internet. I checked both my primary and secondary IDE channels in device manager and saw that both "Device 0" and "Device 1" said "DMA if available" in transfer mode. "Device 0" said Ultra DMA Mode 2" next to current transfer mode, but "Device 1" said "PIO Mode" even though the transfer mode said "DMA if available". I then read where it said to uninstall the device, reboot and windows would reinstall the devices and set the devices back to DMA. However when I uninstall the devices and then reboot. After the computer saids it has recognized the devices. The second I click on the screen, I get the "Blue screen of death" - Fatal error. I then restart my computer. Go back to check the devices and they're back to what they were. Anyone have a clue what might be the problem?

Oh, I use DVD SHRINK to burn an ISO image to my hard drive and DVD DECRYPTOR to write.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried uninstalling the entire IDE instead of just the device itself?

The BSOD is troubling and may indicate a larger problem than just the device.

3. beltline

beltline Regular member

I believe that might of been what I already did. I right clicked on both the Primary and Secondary IDE channels and choose the "Uninstall" option. If I did that am I uninstalling the entire IDE channel?

Thanks

4. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

yes, after you uninstall - restart your comp. Your comp should reinstall them. Double check the controllers to make sure both PRIMARY AND SECONDARY read - ultra DMA. If they do you should be good to go. I recently had this problem and I uninstalled/reinstalled and I was good to go.

5. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

Sorry, I should of read your entire post before posting. You have already done these steps. BLUE SCREEN of DEATH. Usually means reinstalling O/S.

6. beltline

beltline Regular member

I would like to mention the BSOD only happens when I "uninstall" the devices. However last night I tried it one last time and waited. After about one minute it came up with the message it had found the new hardware and I would need to restart. I just hit enter and the computer restarted without the BSOD. However it still reads in PIO mode for current transfer. The system is a Dell 4600 and is only 3 months old. However I have added a DVD drive and another hard drive (plus a external DVD reader). I thought I set both new drives to cable select. I'm not sure if that could be the problem or maybe the cable?

7. beltline

beltline Regular member

Well, I went ahead and disconnected the CD-Rom that came installed with the computer and connected the very end of the IDE cable to my DVD reader to ensure that was the only thing on that IDE. That has seemed to do the trick. It is now reading at 5565kbps - 4X. Burn time is down from 40-60 minutes to 10-12 minutes. Tomorrow I figure I'll connect the CD-Rom back up, I'll just be sure to make it the slave and my DVD burner the master. Hopefully it will still like it.

Thanks everyone for your nice reply's.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It will help when you reconnect your CD ROM drive if you connect it to a seperate IDE cable. Connect it with one of your HD's, and connect the other one to the burner's IDE cable. You can play around with this to see what configuration works best, but generally in my experiance I have found that if you hook it up this way it should produce the best results
    IDE 0 - HD(One with Operating sys on it) Master, CD ROM Slave
    IDE 1 - DVD Writer Master, HD Slave

Good luck
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

One other thing it wouldnt hurt to invest in some 40 pin 80 conductor IDE cables this greatly increases the speed of all your drives. Here is the ones I use
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-105-010&depa=1
    I couldn't believe the difference. They are only $15, but I am sure there are some cheaper ones out there. Well worth the investment. :)

You can read about these cables here http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Good point bbmayo. 40-pin 80-wire cables can be a very good thing. I've seen them at the electronics shop for $2-3 :)

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

12. beltline

beltline Regular member

Thanks for the advice. I just bought the complete set. 3 cables (1 floppy + 2 double cables). I'll let you know if that helps anymore. If anything else it will replace those ribbon cables that I hate. And should create better airflow.

Thanks again.