1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning at faster speeds

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by HeyYoWL, Mar 9, 2005.

1. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

Alright, I don't know how many people have seen some of the posts I made in regards to burning ISO's successfully with no problems at 16x, but for those who have, here's the firmware I was talking about if you have a Pioneer DVR-108:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=29958 (this is for the DVR-108 only, if you want to patch any other drives, whether it's a regular DVD-ROM drive or a burner, go to http://www.firmware.fr.st and look for a PATCHED firmware for your drive)

You can read for yourself what it does there. I know a lot of people say to burn at 1x or 2x, or some other slow speed because they get errors otherwise. Maybe it's a the burner you're using, or the media, or maybe even the PS2 itself (maybe the modchip?), but the majority of people seem to have problems. That's fine, but if you have a Pioneer DVR-108, maybe you want to give this a shot? I use this UNOFFICIAL patched firmware and made my drive region free and capable of burning at 16x with any media on my DVR-108. I burn at 16x (which takes roughly 7 minutes), I use Ritek 8x DVD+R's (g03-02), I use only DVD Decrypter, and I have a slim PS2. I'm not sure what modchip I have because I didn't think to ask when I dropped it off at the store, and when I called them up about it a few months later the guy who answered the phone said he couldn't remember. If anyone can help me in identifying what my modchip is, I'd really appreciate it. This is the post I made on the DVD Hardware Boot section but I received no reply:

Ok now having said all that, I was thinking that anyone who has the DVR-108 maybe should give 16x a try? I'm just suggesting it because so many people seem to like burning at 1x which is way too slow for my liking, and I find the precaution unecessary. Sacrificing one DVD to test if 16x works for you isn't expensive, and you get a region free DVD-ROM drive as a bonus. :)

If anyone tries it and has success, could you possibly post back here? Or even if you don't have success that's fine too, just want to see what the general consensus is, and maybe figure out what makes a difference in whether or not the PS2 will read a backup burned at a faster speed properly. For example, if everyone was using the same burner, with the same firmware, and the same discs, but it worked fine for one person but not another, it would mean it's the PS2 makes the difference. Might be useful information for people to know.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It has nothing to do with wether or not it will work but how long it will work. Backup discs eventually "fade" for lack of a better term and eventually quit working.