1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning avi files to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fagbutt, Feb 2, 2007.

1. fagbutt

fagbutt Member

Sorry guys, you must get really teed off with with us nutters asking such stupid questions.
    Have been reading and re-reading all the guides,and posts from other users, and l'm going brain dead (although l'm slowly starting to understand the processes involved, l think).
    Winavi, dvd-decrypter, dvdshrink, conedvd, anydvd, imgburn. They are all a bit confusing 'cos they seem to want TS or ISO input files.
    I have one downloaded film on my hard drive which is split into two avi files and these jointly exceed the standard 120mins. I know that everyone has their preferred software but where do l start in converting these onto a single dvd. What programs should l download, bearing in mind that there are quite a few movies over 2hrs long.

2. fagbutt

fagbutt Member

Having posted this, noticed a previous one from jk7378. Is this what l should be using. What about avi files over 2hrs though!

3. lisa_8023

lisa_8023 Regular member

WinAVI can merge files into one.You just need to select files together.

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

convertxtodvd will do the trick for also, and as far as the the 2 hour deal the program will compress the file to fit just fine

5. fagbutt

fagbutt Member

Thanks rdmercer1. That answers my question about films over two hours long. Am now using Convertxtodvd.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Besides ConvertXtoDVD there is Nero Vision in the popular Nero suite that converts and transcodes AVI files. Both Nero Vision and ConvertXtoDVD have a wizard type interface. I used both on a PAL conversion job (yes, they do that too) and video output was similar. For those just wanting to try a trial, ConvertXtoDVD marks the video output while the Nero trial provides a clean output.

7. Sairus

Sairus Member

I used Nero, and most of the avi files come out good. I just started to burn. I don't know alot about programs, but was wondering what might help with problem i'm having. The problem is with the sound dragging behind the video really bad. I don't know how to fix it, or what to download to fix it. I don't want to download a bunch of different programs, just for them not to work. I would like a brief description of what it does please as well, so i can better understand the program better. Thank you for any information in this matter.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Before you go too far, get an AVI viewer program. There should be some freeware available. Then view your AVI files before conversion to see if the sound problem is with the original files.

9. Sairus

Sairus Member

I have used window media player mostly, but have Nero Showtime as well. I do notice that subtitles in the ones seem to be slightly bouncy at times. I have try to make sure I didn't ask a question that you guys have already answer on another forum, and remember something about that the media player is capable fixing that problem while watching on it. I notice that when i create chapters that it also doesn't do this mess up. The only time is when its burn to dvd disc that this happens. I also read to use a ReJig to fix this problem, but couldn't figure out how to make into a dvd format. I hope this will help you to help me figure what to do next. Thanks for the speedy response PacMan777.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'm no expert on AVI, but I've seen the troubles with the audio being out of sync. Often it was in the original stream and couldn't be repaired easily. In those cases I waited for the regular release. But that doesn't help you. You're right on the players, some do have a correction feature. What I suggested was getting an AVI viewer to play the files as they are. Maybe you can find one here, http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/ . Afterdawn has quite a collection of players.

As for the software for syncing the audio, I'm not advanced enough to instruct you. There's a forum on AVI to DVD. You need to get a moderator to move your help thread to this forum:
    MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/40

You may want to browse around there to see if you can find something of help. It's not exactly a regular Newbie problem.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If your encoded file has the sound out by a set amount from start to finish even though the origonal plays fine, this has always fixed it for me: http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/ Drag your file into the top window, highlight it and select generate data. Now, in the lower window, select audio and any delay will show to the right in ms. If anything other than 0 appears, select start, name and save your new file as you wish and in a minute or two, you'll have a new file to use. Remember, the origonal usually plays fine on your computer.

12. Sairus

Sairus Member

Thanks Mistycat for the site,I will try it out. I don't lose the sound completely, its more of a delay. I also notice that the delay shows up about 10 minutes into the program. It seems to be a couple seconds off after awhile of playing the disc, and sometimes it fixes itself near the end. I was also wondering if I should use the burn disc or the actual file with this program.

13. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I don't think this will fix sound that is gone completely or has a gradual sync issue. You do use the actual file, though.

14. Sairus

Sairus Member

Thanks for the help PacMan777 and Mistycat for your help. I think i found out a way to fix the problem. I had some of my .avi files with audio synth problems, and i tried something on a newer .avi file i downloaded recently. It work out good, so i tried it on a older file. I seen it fixed the areas i had problems with, so i thought i would put in our this site, so others can try it. What i did was went into More> Video Option and enable Smart Encoding of video/audio. I'm going to try it on the rest and hopes it works. Good luck to the others who tries this and hope it works for you as well

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome and glad you found your solution.

16. Sairus

Sairus Member

I'm sorry about forgetting something in the process. I tried to burn process. Under the more tab, theres also a Dvd-Quality setting that i change. I forgot that i change that as well from automatic to standard play, which is also needed to play it properly. Something I want to add also, if you have overscan problems(which means you can't see all the subtitles on your screen, or half like on my t.v.), then you can also change the setting to 16.9 in this tab. This will shrink the picture alittle, but will allow you to see the whole subtitles.