1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning .avi movies

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by SiliconK2, Dec 4, 2004.

1. SiliconK2

SiliconK2 Member

Hey i was just wondering, if I were to burn a .avi movie on a data disc, could i play it on my dvd player or do i have to convert to vcd?

2. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

.AVI is a windows platform standard. Only VCD, SVCD and DVD generally play in a standalone DVD Player. I would strongly recommend coverting.

3. bbcaw2

bbcaw2 Guest

whats the best way to convert?

4. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Programs such as Nero Vision Express or TMPGEnc are the best I've used. Its simple, you select your AVI, select a destination, then select target format whether its VCD or SVCD for a CD-R, or DVD/XDVD for a DVD-R.

5. friktion

friktion Member

hi guys.. i was just wondering if its possible to put several avi's onto a dvd disc after converting them to vcd with the tmpgenc program?
    or is it possible/easier with nero? and what version of nero would i use?

thanks

6. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

VCD is only a valid CD image, the format is incorrect to put to DVD and work on a standalone DVD player, but would work on your PC. I use and Recommend TMPGEnc for all authoring projects, but Nero's 'Vision Express' is also a decent program.

7. ZeroXero

ZeroXero Guest

Hey i converted an .avi to SVCD but now i dont know how to get it on to a CD (DVD-5) so that it actually will work can anyone help me.

8. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

@ZeroXero, as I mentioned before VCD (MPEG 1) and SVCD (MPEG 2) are valid CD-R images only. You'll have to convert to DVD (MPEG 2) Format to put it on a DVD-5.

9. friktion

friktion Member

hi again.. is there a guide i could read for putting several avi's onto a dvd disc to play in my dvd player? or could anyone else help me?

im trying to put home movies onto the disc and im having no luck at all and ive wasted ALOT of discs.

im new to this and its all very confusing =x

any help would be great

thanks

10. ZeroXero

ZeroXero Guest

@pollushon i have used TMPEnc but if i try to put it to a DVD NTSC form it is way to big do i have to cut it down?

11. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. If you have a superfancy standalone player than you dont have to do anything
    2. Your other options are to convert to VCD, SVCD, DVD or miniDVD (all doable fairly simply via TMPGEnc)

AVI, Audio-video interleave is not a windows standard ... its simply a bunch of audio and video meshed together (otherwise you wouldnt be able to play AVIs on Linux natively.

Something like TMPGEnc can do the job. For more info on encoding to (S)VCD with TMPGEnc: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/43085

Although NVE has undergone extensive reworking ... its still quite buggy ... since TMPGENc has a free version you're prolly best off with that (not to mention a more stable encoding platform)

Yes. You can either do it before (pre-merge the AVIs) or do it after (merge the MPGs)

If you encode to DVD (and burn on CD) then you're target platform is miniDVD ... which supports only roughly 21 minutes of film so you'll have to space it out (again, you can either cut before or after the encoding).

12. ZeroXero

ZeroXero Guest

@Preator I am converting to DVD and Burning on to a DVD-5. Anyways I used TMPGEnc and after it was done i closed it went into Nero and when i tried burning it on to a DVD it didnt support the file type the converted movie was this format. it was an M2V what do i do with that and do i have to use a different burning program or what thanks for the help.