1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Blanks

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lpmrhahn, Dec 27, 2004.

1. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

I got a new external DVD burner for Christmas and was looking forward to backing up some of my DVDs, but I'm having problems. Here's my setup:

Using it with my laptop
    Pacifig Digital DVD burner, it's a Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R5272, now running the latest firmware
    The DVD burner is USB 2, and I only have USB1 but the manual says it should work.
    Verbatim DVD+R's.

Initially I ran 1Click DVD copy w/ DVD43Free to backup Master and Commander. It said it burned fine, looking at the back of the disk you can tell its been burned. However, trying to play it in a standalone doesn't do anything, and on any computer I put it in it says there's 0 bytes on it, 0 free and used bytes, and it tries to spin the disk, stops, and then tries to spin it again.

So, after that I came on here again and saw a few other people had been having trouble with Master and Commander, and I also decided to try some new software people on here suggested. This time I used DVD Shrink to rip The Last Samurai to my HDD, and Nero 6 Ultra to burn it. Once again, Nero said it burned fine, you can see burn lines, but it won't play in anything, and it's doing the same thing at Master and Commander did as far as space on the disk and spinning.

Any suggestions? It's kind of annoying, it was a Christmas present from my parents. Some posts I've read say that the media could have a problem, but a few sources I've read say Verbatim is pretty good. I'm a poor college student, I can't afford to buy expensive DVD-Rs, but right now I'm just getting coasters. Thanks

Originally posted in the hardware forum, but after consideration I thought it belonged here more.

2. vanila

vanila Member

strangly enough I also have the Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R5272 with firmware 1031 (no idea how "new" that is but I just got this burner).
    Verbatim is the media I have had NO problems with.
    And I've used Verbatim DVD+RW
    Verbatim DVD-R
    Sony DVD+RW

BUT don't use Philips DVD+R : they don't work

I've only used these to backup data and I use the Roxio software which came with it.
    Plus, I only use this with USB1.1 because I haven't got USB2 on my laptop.

I doubt it's the media. I think you may not be using the software correctly to burn a DVD. I have never tried to "copy" a commercial DVD (not really interested in that), but just from reading a few threads here I get the impression it's not a simple process. especially if one has to overcome copy protection.

3. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

I've had problems with Roxio in the past, but when I got the drive I told myself I'd give them a chance.... and boy I shouldn't have. It "deleted" all my CD/DVD drives on my laptop, and after hours of searching on the internet I found that I had to delete some registry keys, and then they came back. Anyways, as far as not burning it properly. For M&C I used 1Click and DVD43Free plus followed a tutorial online(not that you need one, you click a button). For Shrink and Nero on Last Samurai I followed the tutorial on this website, as well as refrenced 3 more I found on the net just to make sure I was doing it right, and it STILL didn't work.

So..... I'm stumped.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

did you burn at 1x? You really should buy a usb 2 card for the computer (about $20).

5. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

I burned at the slowest it would let me, which was approx. 2x

6. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

One more thing, which may be of use. The disks aren't burning all the way to the end, they both stopped at the same place, about an inch from the center.

7. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

Could the lack of a USB 2 port be causing the DVDs not to burn propely? It's burning CD-Rs just fine, and it was burning a data DVD until Nero crashed at 89% done :(

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yes, that could be the problem.

9. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

Guess I'll buy one then, and some RWs so I can stop wasting the Rs. Don't know what I'll do if none of that works, thanks though.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

They are an excellent disc; perhaps there was something else to blame -

Now Roxio is an incredibly bad choice of software, maybe a bit more reading before we go making recommendations ?

Hi there lpmrhahn,

You should have no trouble with Master and Commander.

You're bound for a hard time in college if you have that attitude. Learning is about trying, failing / succeeding whatever comes your way but you keep on trying - Your post indicates you're going to quit unless everything goes perfectly the first time -

OK, enough of my lecturing on life (I spent too much time teaching college courses) Here's a guide AFTER you spend that $20.00 for a 2.0 USB card. LQQk about 1/2 way down the page -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

PRINT the guide out and follow it EXACTLY, you should get your first DVD backup :)

Happy New Year,

Pete

11. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

^Thanks for the information. For future reference though, I'm graduating next semester, with a 3.5, and it wasn't a hard time. I don't have the attitude you think I do, just because I said that, but for the past 3 days I've tried everything humanely possible(except reformating because my XP cd is at school, and buying the USB 2 device) to get this thing to work. It's not like I quit trying after it didn't work the first two times. Now nero is crashing on me because it's getting an unhandled exception error in the file geniso.dll. The first time it did that I reinstalled Nero, hopeing it would fix that file, but it didn't, so two more of my precious dvds just went down the drain. Off too see if I can figure out how to fix this problem now. It's weird, it'll copy and burn CDs just fine, but not video or data dvds.

12. ttllyrndm

ttllyrndm Member

-

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry, but we're not talking about milk and bread here, we're talking about a DVD disc. They don't go "bad" or "moldy" they just sit there until somebody uses them -

lpmrhahn,

Sorry for my comment -If you read it yourself you'll see the timber it showed. If you were so very worried about getting coasters, may I inquire why you weren't using a RW disc ? It would seem to be the intelligent thing to do - Also posting your Nero log would prove helpful, Perhaps you might consider that as it would tell us what was going on -

Another suggestion, to eliminate the possibility of a problem with Nero, why not try, as was suggested, a different route - Here's a guide with links 1/2 way down the page -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Try that and report back -

Pete

(Temple, 3.75 GPA)

14. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

Followed your guide exactly. Dvd Decryptor said it burned successfully, and you can tell it was burned as far as it should have been. Yet, it doesn't work. Dvd Identifier says this about the disc "Unable to initialize disc in time: Medium error - UNable to read TOC, PMA or subcode [03/57/00]" and as such Windows doesn't detect the disk. So.... I will be reformating my HD on Friday, I have a USB 2 cardbus on the way from new egg, and then hopefully I can burn some freakin DVDs. If it then doesn't work, I'll buy new media, and if that doesn't work I'll be returning this DVD burner for a new one.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Wait and see how the new media works - Decent media makes a world of difference -

Happy New Year,

Pete

16. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

Can you suggest some decent media? I have verbatim CD+Rs and they are listed as MCC 002 in DVD Identfier, which from what I've gathered is suppose to be a pretty good brand. Thanks

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Look in the first thread of this forum - it's posted there about 6 times -

18. vanila

vanila Member

it wasn't a "recommendation". it was a report. The Philips DVD+R don't work on my drive. I'm sure they work fine on another drive.

It seems a lot of folks here don't care for Roxio and I have no problem with that. I don't work for Roxio, so i don't care.
    I just know that I have used their software for years either at work or on my system and this version came with the drive. The Drag-and-Drop (mt reiner) works great. as the main reason for this purchase was data backup, i'm pleased.

Just don't attribute odd motivations to me where none exists.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

vanila,

Reports are more than welcome :)

BUT you didn't say, "They don't work on mine."

You told lpmrhahn -

How dare you presume that everyone on the planet that has a the Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R5272 with firmware 1031 won't be able to play Phillips - That was a "warning / recommendation" that according to you, those discs don't work. That's a far cry from a personal report.

As for Roxio, for the vast majority of the pple here, Rtoxio causes problems. We have solved many, many problems by having pple totally remove all traces of Roxio.

Do others have Roxio Yes they do. There are a few souls that have no problem with Roxio. They burn and edit with it and have nothing but praises about it but, they are also in the very small minority. My stand ? I believe in trimming off any possible problem sourse, getting our Newbie a good burn going and then letting the door open and proggys back in until we find the little "nasty" that started the whole mess. When all problems are removed, load up Roxio and see how you do. If it works, BURN ON !! ! ! But if it doesn't, then we can take it off again.

To recap, Reports are always welcome. We like all points of view but unfounded recommendations and statements - Let's think before we post - "Can we backup what we say with information from valid sources ?"

Cheers,

Pete :)

20. iepurakis

iepurakis Member

I can confirm that Philips DVD+R DOES NOT WORK on this burner. I wrote without any problem in Traxdata DVD+R 4x but in Philips DVD+R 1-8X media it failed. To be accurate, it writes, but it is no readable in any DVD-ROM.

And it is not about software, as I tried about 4-5 programs with them... it is just incompatible.