1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning coasters. Please help.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nanllyn, Apr 2, 2004.

1. nanllyn

nanllyn Member

I am using DVD Shrink 3.1.7.5, Nero 6.3.0.3 and a Plextor 708A. I backup many DVD's without problem and then it just started making coasters. It burns 1 or 2 correctly and then it will burn 1-2 bad ones. So it is not every burn. I have updated the Plextor to the latest drivers. I am using DVD+R and DVD-R's and both give bad burns half the time.
    When I burn using the DVD Shrink (using Nero) it gives me an error of "Plextor read error" at the very end of the burn. When I burn by opening up Nero itself then it gives me a read error at the 98-99%. I have updated the Plextor to the latest drivers. I think it may sound like the Plextor drive being the problem.
    Any ideas of what could be wrong? Has anyone had any problems with any of these programs or could it be a conflict with one or all of them? I am really getting frustrated at making so many coasters. Thanks for your help.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Do you have Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator on your system by chance? Roxio is notorious for causing other apps to not work properly.

Did you change to a different type of media when the bad burns started to occur? What media have you been using?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sounds like a "Boy Oh Boy did I save money on these discs."

Guessing by the number of bad burns, I'd say they were Memorex -

Am I close ??

Using good media will help - Ritek (G04) OR Verbatim (Branded).

BTW, Welcome to our Club - and not too worry, most everyone gets caught with the lousy media -

Pete

PS, How did I do with my guess ?

4. woof811

woof811 Regular member

quality media sounds like the answer to your probs i say ritek with the g04 dye , also just have nero installed and no other burning prog to cut down on any conflicts .

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If your crappy media won't burn out to the edge of the disc, try reducing the size of the files. This way you can use up what you have while waiting for your Riteks.

Just open Shrink, select Edit-> Preferences. Change the drop down menu from DVD-5 to custom and then reduce the size from 4464 MB to 4364 MB.

You can try different numbers, experment!