1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning copy protected dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bcakt6, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infinity6

infinity6 Member

Hi all :)
    I have a +R9 capable writer (LiteON SOHW-832S), so does that mean if I use dual layer media I can just 'backup' any dvd movie in dvd decrypter without having to use dvdshrink?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

that's exactly what it means. You must buy DL media, and it mustn't exceed the size limit(8.5g), decrypter now handles DL discs.

Do not forget to rip(read) and write in ISO mode in decrypter, ISO files are all it can burn.:)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  3. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

Hey, Scub...

The error that I get is:

[​IMG]

followed by:

[​IMG]

* if the above images don't work, here are the links: http://www.geocities.com/heavenlyangel8877/error1.JPG and http://www.geocities.com/heavenlyangel8877/error2.JPG

I could backup the other disks with no problem whatsoever so I am not sure what it is about this one that keeps giving me an error. I am using Version 3.2 and I had already had the custom set to 4260 per your instruction. I tried decreasing it to 4160 but it still didn't help. What do you think that it could be?

Thanks, Scub!

------------------------------------------------

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]jkghome[/bold], DVD Rip Forums specializes in problems with X Copy. They have patches to fix browse, to rip, to get rid of the annoying backup warning screens and much more.. You might want to check it out.

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

5. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

[​IMG]

this is another error i received after trying it for the millionth time....

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

tyeshab, what are your steps in shrink? Are you trying to put it on 2 discs or one?

Since I don't know what you're doing I can't really tell you anything from the error windows. That same window can pop up for a variety of reasons.

7. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

i followed scubapete's instructions down to the "t."--

i am backing up the dvds to my hard drive. the first two dvds that i backed up worked fine and i didn't have a problem with them at all. however, it's this one that keeps giving me problems. i am only using one dvd. i tried burning it from one to another but it didnt work so i started backing it up on my hard drive but that didnt work either. has this ever happned to u?

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Is shrink doing this when you 1st click on open disc or after you hit the backup button and click OK in the select target window that appears?

Are you doing any editing in shrink before you hit backup?

Have you tried ripping with decrypter 1st then using the open files instead of open disc in shrink?

How big is your HD and how much free space do you have on it?

And finally is your HD formatted to FAT32 or NTFS?

9. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

shrink sends the error after i hit the backup button and click OK in the select target window that appears.

when i got the "invalid handle" error, i was editing in shrink. however, when i did no editing i still got an error saying "programming error-exception occured"

i will try using the decrypter now and let u know how that works.

i have an 80GB hard drive w/ 50GB free and i think it is formated to FAT32 but i am not exactly sure about that one.

let me see if i can decrypte it and go from there. i will let u know how that works.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Try it with decrypter, see what happens and that will eliminate one possibility. You could also try going straight to disc instead of HD after ripping with decrypter.

Here's the other possibility, if you have an extremely long movie you may be going over the 4g limit set by FAT32, that's all it can handle.

With NTFS you can handle files up to 10g. If you are going to be doing much video work you really need to partition your HD to NTFS.

You could partition half of it(40g) very easily since you have 50 free gigs, without having to reformat and lose anything. It's easy to do in XP or there is a freebie tool called partition magic 8 that can do it for you.

Let me know what happens with decrypter after trying it to the HD and then straight to disc. Use an RW so you don't make any coasters.

11. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

well, i dont know how to do the ntfs and i tried decrypting it first and then shrinking it down but i still got the same errors *sigh*. lol....i give up. this movie just wont get backed up.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It's in all likelihood your file system. It is not hard to partition your HD, if you want I'll give you the steps. Even if this doesn't solve the problem with this movie, you are still better off.

Do you have XP?

As I said earlier, you will need NTFS at least on part of your HD if you are gonna do much video backup or you will run into this problem again.

13. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

thanks, big!

yes, i have xp. what r the steps?

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there tyeshab04,

TheBig guy is right about the NTFS, here's some stuff on that -

FAT32 to NTFS, It's the right move - It's upgrading -

Ya have FAT32 and the 4 Gig ceiling is killing you right ? You really want to backup your DVD's but your filing system is putting the "Kabash" on you so far -

Someone has told you, you must change something in OR on your HD and it's causing you to sweat bullets. It sounds MAJOR. It's not -

You haven't made a backup of your HD for a Long, long, really long time and you're worried that messing with your HD could ruin the world as you know it. - Well one of theses days you really need to backup your PC but for this operation, you'll be able to squeek by. Ya know, ya really do need to do that backup thingie (lol). But for now, it's not a problem. I haven't ever heard of anyone losing their PC or even a single file when upgrading FAT32 to NTFS, It's the right move -

Ya have FAT32 and the 4 Gig ceiling is killing you right ? You really want to backup your DVD's but your filing system is putting the "Kabash" on you so far -

Someone has told you, you must change something in OR on your HD and it's causing you to sweat bullets. It sounds MAJOR. It's not -

You haven't made a backup of your HD for a Long, long, really long time and you're worried that messing with your HD could ruin the world as you know it. - Well one of theses days you really need to backup your PC but for this operation, you'll be able to squeek by. Ya know, ya really do need to do that backup thingie (lol). But for now, it's not a problem. I haven't ever heard of anyone losing their PC or even a single file -

No worries mate, you're just a little bit behind the times is all -

No trouble converting your HD from FAT32 to NTFS, it's safe and fast.

Hey, take a second and learn something about it -

This is a good place to start, it compares both file systems and their performance -

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

(Be sure to check the comparison of the 2 at the bottom of the page) -

Ok, feel better ? You're about to be brought into the light -

This program is called Partition Magic 8 is simple and easy and best of all - you download the trial version so it costs you Nada, Zip, Zilch as in free. (It's a good thing, right ? Yep, you bet.)

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

Ya feel better working in the Command window - No worries either, Check Herbsman (a MOD) away back when he was just a member, he will give you the "Skinny" right here -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81003

OK, you should be set.

Any questions, stop back and we'll try to help :p)

Cheers,

Pete

Bigorange,

Hey there my friend, I'm sure it was a "typo"

It isn't possible to rip with DVD Decrypter and burn to disc without going to your HD.

I wrote this a while ago but it applies -

Let's try to answer the question, "Why do I have to backup to my Hard Drive (HD) ?"

Think of it like you're making a Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Everything you need is in one place, the cupboard. All your DVD files are in one place, the original DVD.

You need a place to put all your ingredients, the Bread, Peanut butter and the Jelly - so that you can assemble them into a sandwich, you use the kitchen table. You need a place to put all the *IFO, *BUP and *VOB files you are taking from the original DVD, you need to assemble them into a VIDEO_TS folder OR you need to put them all together into an *ISO image, you need a place to work, you need the HD.

You assemble your sandwich putting your Peanut butter and your Jelly into two pieces of bread. When you are finished you can one of two things. First, you can leave all the "Fixens" on then table to make another sandwich sometime later OR, you can put it all away and have your table clear again. In DVD backup, we needed the HD to lay out all the IFO, BUP and VOB files and then to assemble them into a folder called your VIDEO_TS folder OR to put them all together onto an ISO image. When you are finished you can do one of two things. First, we could leave them on the HD to make another backup DVD later OR we can have them in a temporary folder to be deleted and have our HD space clear again.

In a nutshell, you have to write the files you're working with to your HD. The work you're doing cannot be done in "cyber-space."

So, back to our original question - If you want to do a backup of an original DVD you'll have to backup your DVD to your HD in order to work on it to make your backup disc.

You can copy a backup copy (copy a copy) "on the fly" (without involving your HD) because it's already decrypted and processed to fit on a single disc.

Now that you know why, you can forget about that nasty old question and you can follow the bread crumbs back through the forest till you arrive safe and sound back in your own little bed. :)

Goodnight now and pleasant dreams :p)

Cheers,

Pete

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey pete, it wasn't exactly a typo, but it wasn't clear either. I meant after ripping with decrypter go into shrink and Then try going to disc instead of the HD.

You know I know better than that,lol, but thanx for pointing out my clouding of the issue. I hope the murky waters have cleared. lol

as always your friend, bigO

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Tyeshab, sorry it took so long, here goes:

1)click start

2)control panel

3)performance and maintenance

4)administrative tools

5)computer management

6)disk management

7)right click on the unused portion of your hard drive

8)click on new partition

9)you can also right-click free space in the extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive.
    In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

[bold]NOTE[/bold]-do NOT choose format or reformat, you could lose all your info and have to start all over. All you are wanting to do is split your HD into two file systems. Use 40g for FAT32 and 40g for NTFS, that will be plenty of space to do all your video work on, but make sure you delete all video files when a project is completed successfully to keep plenty of free space..

If you feel uncomfortable doing this you can use partition magic 8 as I and Pete suggested earlier in the previous posts. It makes it real easy. all you need is the free version.

Holler back if you have any problems.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Big "O",

It was more for the pple who read these threads and would take that at it's face value -

However you'll have to go some to catch up with all the "Ooops" I've made - Lol

Cheers my friend -

Pete

18. tyeshab04

tyeshab04 Member

it says that my file system is ntfs. do i still need to do it?

19. MrsE

MrsE Member

Okay, BigOrange, I found the link you snet, it took a lot of looking though. Sooooo, how quickly can the DVD's be delivered... :) ??

I still haven't read my homeowrk. However, after I record a butt load of papers and watch the news about the apparent flasher in my area I hope to read up on al of this!

Please add 8 more hours to my day!

and BTW - no comment on the big red??

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]MrsE[/bold]

I didn't realize you wanted a comment on the big red, soooo, here goes. GOOO BIIIGGGG OOORRRAAANNNGGGEEEE! :) Are you a big NCAA football fan? I love this time of year!

The link I sent had all the branded Riteks listed at the bottom of the page in 2 columns , all you had to do was click on which one you wanted and how many?

They usually ship pretty quick, about 3 days to get 'em and that's free shipping too, so not bad considering.

Anyway, since you are so busy, I didn't think shipping time was a factor. ;) just kidding!

They are a very solid company, if you browse the threads you'll see many aD users shop there if from the States and over in Europe, newegg seems to be the store of choice.

They also have a great return policy, as long as you don't open the cake box, so inspect them to make sure they are what you ordered before opening. Once I ordered the wrong thing, my fault not theirs, and they refunded my money the next day before I had even sent them back.

Let me know how it turns out, and if you need anything else, jsut holler. :) good luck.....

EDIT-I just saw buik's post, I didn't realize... I also wish you and him the very best and take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.