1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Copy-Protected Music CD's

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by enomi, Apr 20, 2003.

1. enomi

enomi Member

Hi, I have purchased 2 copy-protected music CD's recently and need help making back-ups so that my originals won't get damaged. I already downloaded Alcohol 120% but I don't know how to use it and don't know if I need anything else. I have tried ripping them with every program also and it doesn't work so please help me out here. I want to either rip the songs or make a copy of the CD's, I NEED HELP! Thanks!

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

3. cds

cds Guest

New Possible Procedure to Defeat Cactus (CDS) copy protection and remove

I would like the internet community to test this procedure I have stumbled apon for making digital copies (for back purposes only) of damaged/corrupted CD’s with CDS (Catus Datashield). The reason I needed to do this was to allow me to play the CD I purchased on a Harddisk Jukebox which was unable to even read the discS protected by CDS as well as to allow me to play them on my IPAQ mp3 player.

I have been able to perform a backup of the CD “Robbie Williams – Escapology” which ClonyXXLv2.0.1.4c detected the protection as Cactus 200.0.4- 3.0 Build 12b

I have also been able to perform a backup of the CD “Atomic Kitten – Feels So Good” which ClonyXXLv2.0.1.4c detected the protection as Cactus Cactus 200.0.4- 4.0 build 10b

Since I have no other corrupt cd’s to test this procedure on, I thought that maybe someone on the internet community be able to help me out by testing this with there corrupt CD’s.

There are several pieces of software involved in this process so I will list the complete procedure and version numbers of the software I have succeeded with.

Using my Sony CD Writer (CRX140) nothing special with the hardware at all (even a very old firmware) note that the protected disc functions how it is supposed to ie can only see the crappy data portion of the cd.

Insert the disk Using blindread/blindwrite version 4.3.1.32 from http://www.blindwrite.com dump the corrupted CD to a folder onto the harddisk
    Using the Blindwrite (BWT,BWI,BWS) output format
    Using the Extraction method Nibble
    Next using Daemon tools version 3.29 from http://www.daemon-tools.com/ mount the Dumped image file created in step 2 to a virtual drive letter
    At this point you should have a 1:1 copy of the CD which you can access without the disc (unfortunately the virtual CD still contains the Protecion ) also on this virtual CD you can only play the poor quality downgraded files on your pc using their even lower quality player…..
    Now using your favourite software to extract WAV’s/mp3/mp3pro from CD’s like Nero v5.5.64 http://www.nero.com or EAC
    Using save track from generic stealth (virtual device for Daemon mounted CD)
    Select the track(s) that you want to obtain a digital copy of and the output format (wav) for full audio cd or mp3/mp3pro for the trusty mp3 player.
    Now using your favourite CD burning software write an Audio CD using the extracted WAV’s or play the high quality versions of the files using the player of your choosing.

Hope this procedure works for other CD’s also.

Good luck.

4. enomi

enomi Member

So cd-rw.org, from your article I got that the best was Exact Audio Copy? I'll try that, but what is Cactus Datashield and does every "corrupt" CD have this? I'm not too great with computers so I'm going to need some help, thanks.