1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BURNING DATA DVDs w/1 pure iso file 4gb

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Ataxonu, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Ataxonu

Ataxonu Member

Hi guys... I have many isos on backup on my external hdd and would like to save them as a whole in a pure and uncompressed format onto a DVD-R... So the entire ISO, still ISOed, is saved as DATA to a DVD-R... The problem is that my record software RecordNow DX (v4.0 oldish) is telling me that it can't burn a single file >4GB to the DVD-R... This limit is known to be a limit on file sizes in FAT32, but you guys know that all blank dvd-r are not preformatted for the FAT32 file system...??? My Windows XP is running on a NTFS partition so I don't have any problem there and external HDDs that are still formatted in FAT32 cannot take a >4GB file (understandable), but why can't the dang DVD-R take it...??? Any advice would be gladly appreciated...

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

What is the exact size of this file? Blank dvd media can only hold 4.36 gig. If your file is slightly over the 4 gig you are stating, can it be that its actually over 4.36 gig. When doing a dvd backup it is always a good idea to keep file size to 4.3 gig to allow some blank space at the outer edge of the disc where most errors happen. I would think when doing data files the same practice would be a good idea. This is just a possible cause for your problem. Not really sure.

Jerry