1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning data on DVD-R's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by shark29, Apr 5, 2005.

1. shark29

shark29 Member

This may be a stupid question. I have always used +R's until I took advantage of the 4X -R TY sale on meritline. I have been burning movies fine on these, they play on every DVD player I have flawlessly. The weird thing is, when I burn data on these -R's, my DVD-ROM does not recognize the disk. The same DVD-ROM plays movies I burn on these disks however. Are -R's supposed to be used primarily for movies? I tried 3 disks thus far. Just struck me as odd.

2. DUBBZ

DUBBZ Member

Good question IMO. I was wondering the same thing. I hope jimdandy or the other experts clue us in.

3. shark29

shark29 Member

Surely someone in this forum has tried to burn data to a DVD-R :) I want to order about 500 more of these TY's, but I just want to make sure the issue is with the DVD-R format in general, not the media. These will play in my burner, just not my DVD-ROM. All my +R data discs play fine in both.

Could someone please shed some light on this?

4. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

........I have only used -R for movies and alot of data burns. No problem here and not sure why it doesn't read it....

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

if i may ask what model and manufacturer dvd-rom do you currently use that you are having this problem in?

i have THOUSANDS of these 4x TYG01s from supermediastore and have burned data onto them as well to play in my computer just fine, but, like i said, i don't have a dvd-rom drive, i play everything using my dvd burner which is a pioneer dvr-109 or a sony dru-710a which i use to play the dvd dash (-) r format reliably. there just might be some compatibility issues with your particular make and model of dvd-rom drive w/ these TY 4x media, although rare, i might need a little more info on your setup before i can offer any more suggestions.

6. shark29

shark29 Member

Well, I didnt get too detailed because I just wanted to know if it was a known issue. Like I said, my Samsung DVD-ROM will play movies I burn on these TY -R's, just not data, yet my Memorex burner will recognize the data disk. I use Nero to burn the data. Anyway, since it appears this should work, I will investigate further. Just wanted to check before I buy 500 more of these TY's.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@shark29 - Every single one of mine (500ish) are -R. I admit to not owning a single +R but only cus i started out with -R. Other than kivery666's comments all i can add at moment is are you sure they're not fake TY's..

@kivory666
    wow i wish i had more room on my boat. Have used up all my DVD space and am now either going to have to use those big wallet cases that hold up to like 500 or buy a DJ style case that can hold 1000. Trouble is i'm worried if i got burgled someone would have a huge ready made collection to scamper off with!

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ creaky

let's juss keep ur fingers crossed that you never get burglarized, that would really be horrible. i guess there are both good and bad aspects of living on a boat, that sounds pretty cool tho. i keep my backups in those massive cd/dvd wallets..mine holds only 250 each, as opposed to your 500 each ones, but, i got like a dozen of them to hold my collection :)

i think it would be unfortunate for either one of us to get robbed or burglarized from our respective homes, some people would get away with quite a bit dvds if that were the case. let's just think happy thoughts and continue burning...good day to you creaky~