1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning .divx files for Divx capable DVD player

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Rick540, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Rick540

Rick540 Guest

I recently got a Divx capable DVD player but I'm having trouble getting anything to work with it. I'm still pretty new to DVD authoring but maybe you guys can help me out.

I'm using TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 to create the DVD. Everything as far as that goes seems to be okay. I add my video files, make my menus, etc. and the software creates a video file with a .divx extension. I think the problem is that I'm not burning the file correctly.

TMPGEnc DVD Author has a built in burning tool but whenever I launch it Windows goes into a BSOD. So as an alternative I've tried just buring the .divx video file to a disc using Windows but the DVD player can't read it and says the disc is unplayable.

Also FWIW, I have a Magnavox MWD7006 DVD player.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  2. attar

attar Senior member

Are you trying to create a 'DVD' movie with TMPGEnc?
    If so, it does not create files with '.divx' extension.
    It creates .VOB files and they will be in a folder, 'VIDEO_TS', on the hard drive (or the disk, if you were able to burn one)

Is it possible you are creating an 'UltraDivX' movie - and is your player capable of playing 'UltaDivX'?

The player should be capable of playing back a plain, ordinary DivX file when the file is burned to a data DVD or CD.

If you are using Windows to burn a data DVD, then I take it that you cannot be using XP - it does not have that capability.

3. Rick540

Rick540 Guest

Thanks for the help, but I got it figured out. You have to set the profile in the track settings to "Home Theater" so that Divx enabled DVD players can read the files.

And no I'm not using XP, I'm using Vista. Besides the BSOD that I get with TMPGEnc DVD Author, I haven't had any problems with Vista in the 6 months I've been using it. Personally I think Vista is great. Besides the BSOD may be from the DVD software and have nothing to do with Vista anyway.