1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Dual-Layer discs (problems)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nolfguy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. nolfguy

nolfguy Member

I have burned several dual layer discs before (all the Star Wars movies) and never had a problem. Now, I can't do it for some reason.

I have a 6 gb .ISO file, and when I open up ImgBurn and try to burn it onto my DL disc, it says it can't because the file isn't formatted for the layer-break OTP format something or other. I've never had this problem (I ripped them with Shrink before, as I did this time) and not sure what to do about it.

I also ripped another dual-layer disc into an ISO and tried to burn it and it gave me the same message.

Just as an experiment I unchecked the "remove layer break" option in Shrink and it didn't have any effect. *shrug*

What's going on?

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

nolfguy,
    Try using Ripit4Me to rip the dvd to the HD and then use Imgburn. Use the 1 click method and the DVD will come out compliant. Shrink and Nero do have problems w/ the Layer break flag

3. nolfguy

nolfguy Member

Thanks, I'll try it after work. If that's the case though, how come I never had problems before now?

Any more suggestions?

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

nolfguy,
    You were real lucky as Shrink has not been updated in 3 - 3 1/2 years and it really has problems ripping the newer movies.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The problem may be your creating the ISO before using ImgBurn. Use files and let ImgBurn create the ISO for burning. The program needs access to the files to calculate the layer break and doesn't have the access if you lock the files in an ISO image.

For burning DL, Shrink isn't needed (except as part of RipIt4Me). Rip the files with RipIt4Me (not in ISO rip mode, use a file mode). Once the files are on the HD, select Build as the ImgBurn mode. Under Output select Device (your burner). Then browse to your folder containing the files and select. Click the big folder to disc icon to burn. ImgBurn automatically sets the layer break, just not with an ISO.

Car.Mike
    Just adding to your comment and supporting it. ;) Good call.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  6. nolfguy

nolfguy Member

Sorry, I meant I ripped them using DVDFab Decrypter, then OPENED the files and put them into ISO format using Shrink.

I'll try the suggestion you gave me...however, I just want the main movie...will it work if I rip it using DVDFab then open the file using ImgBurn?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you ripped them with DVDFab Decrypter and you are making a dual layer disc there is no need for Shrink at all. Just rip with Fab Decrypter and burn with imageburn. That is exactly how I do my DL backups. I am not sure why you would want or need to run them threw Shrink after the rip process as there is no need.

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

nolfguy,
    You can rip the whole DVD to the HD using that program. Then use the Read function in ImgBurn to read the files and then the write function to write the files to D/L. ImgBurn should give you the ability to place the Layer Break where you want to

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

For the sake of compliance processing I suggest ripping in the file mode, whether with RipIt4Me or DVDFab Decrypter. The reason I recommend RI4M is because it incorporates the FixVTS code for compliance processing. RI4M in 1-Click is a sure thing, while DVDFab sometimes needs the additional processing. Both are good rippers and that part can boil down to user choice.

Read doesn't read from the hard drive, it does so from the optical drive. That entails using Region Free or AnyDVD and we all know the problems there with the newer protections.

The default setting for ImgBurn is to calculate the optimal layer break. There is the option for the user to set it. Using Build mode ImgBurn creates the ISO for burning including the layer break and then burns the output. That way the files can be ripped in file mode in order to do the necessary copy protection and compliance processing and no need to create an ISO before it's needed for the burn. DVDFab Decrypter, unless they changed it recently, rips in the file mode and then creates an ISO image when the ISO output is selected. I have no idea what it does with the layer break during the process, but the files can't be accessed for compliance processing. If DVDFab doesn't get it right in the rip, you don't get a second shot at the files. As some people have noted, the newer, heavier copy protections sometimes need the extra processing with FixVTS or VobBlanker.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  10. Mez

Mez Active member

I will just add this bit to a masterful discussion. DeFab Platnum is supposed to do its own compliance testing/fixing. Unfortunatly, it does not work for me. Since it is built in and not a seperate process I am not certain that it is doing QA at all. FixVTS is far superior. "I never leave home without it."

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

To all, ImgBurn 2.3.0.0 is out with the latest update.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

RipIt4Me 1.7.1.0 was released yesterday.

13. nolfguy

nolfguy Member

I re-ripped my ISO files using Shrink into folder format.

So, I opened up ImgBurn as instructed, and followed PacMan's instructions...well, I got a bunch of screens and stuff dealing with how I wanted the layer break...it gave me a legend and had me click on whatever one out of a list I wanted (I chose the one with the star that indicated "good") and then had me burn it.

I did that for Jedi, and it seemed to work...I'm watching Jedi right now to see if there's any problems with skipping or anything in-between layers...

The point is, I really have no idea what I'm doing with the options for the layer-breaks, and it also gave me the option to calculate automatically or do it manually....I chose "auto" but I wasn't sure if that was right.

Also, it had me do "seamless" or another option, and I chose "seamless" because it sounded right....as I said before, I really have no idea what I'm doing. I burned Licence to Kill (the Ultimate Edition) as well today to a DL and not sure how it worked out...I'm going to check.

So I guess basically...should I just rip the movies using R4Me and that will take care of everything automatically or not? Or should I just rip the main movie files (that's all I'm after) with DVDFab and then just use ImgBurn? Like, why am I getting the option screens for the layer breaks and stuff?

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

The new version of ripit4me was the one that I got the coaster using the first time. I redid it and it was fine.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

P.I.C.N.I.C. LOL

If editing out the extras Ripit4Me has a rip mode for just that purpose. Saves editing. You can have movie only or movie with menus. However if going that route, why not transcode to a DVD5 and save some money. If you edit that much and leave off the extra audio, normally the compression won't be very high and you get a quality backup. Since decryption removes the PUOs you don't need to worry about extras and all with DL, you can jump to the menu with the remote. You can set RipIt4Me for Make DVD jump to Menu on insertion, if you don't want to use the remote.

I leave ImgBurn at the default settings and let it calculate the layer break. It knows more about where the break should be than I do.

I've been watching some old backups on my friend's 60" HDTV. The picture isn't as nice as HD, but it looks as good as conventional TV. I'm not shelling out for HD or Blu Ray hardware yet.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  16. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

nolfguy ,
    You did everythink OK. You got the later break Flag because there was more than 1 place to put it. I only use D/L when I want the whole disk as I really want just the movie as If I want to see the extras then I get the original off the shelf

17. nolfguy

nolfguy Member

So was I just supposed to put the layer break anywhere and not worry about it? That's what was causing the problem.

I just reformatted my computer, so I'll be using R4ME on the Bond movies I have....I'll see how that works. I rarely use DL discs, the only time I use them is on movies I treasure so greatly I want no compression whatsoever (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Bond, Kevin Smith films and maybe Jurassic Park 1).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I mentioned I let the program calculate the best place, not randomly put the layer break anywhere. If that is causing problems though, you may want to go the manual route.

19. nolfguy

nolfguy Member

2 Questions:

How do I know where to put the layer break? The program is on "auto calculate" but then it gives me that page with the legend and a list of places where I can click and then the "OK" button becomes clickable when I chose any of them. How do I know which one is the best for clicking? All of them only have a gray star ("average")...I only got a gold star ("good") one time.

What's the manual route, btw?

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Selecting the layer break manually, but that may or may not do better. I'd go with one of the options presented until the automatic route starts causing problems. Check with Alkohol or look in guides for using ImgBurn, or check the ImgBurn forum. I'm sure they could do a better job of explaining than I'm capable of.