1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning dual layer dvds to blank dual layer discs

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by y2trebor, Jan 3, 2005.

1. y2trebor

y2trebor Member

i tried burning dvds to blank dual layer discs by using dvd decrypter and then burning em with nero but after its burnt and when u insert the burnt dvd into the dvd drive it cant read the disc any1 got the solution to my problem

2. dotankui

dotankui Member

i have the same problem as you, have not found a solution myself. have you had any luck?

3. tbone1980

tbone1980 Member

You could try changing the "book type" of the DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM. This _may_ trick your DVD player into playing it even though it is dual layer. From what I understand, the book type is a little bit on the DVD that identifies the DVD as a DVD-ROM or DVD+R, DVD-R, etc... By changing the book type you are tricking the DVD player into thinking the disc is something that it is not. DVD Decrypter can change the book type (Tools->Drive->Change Book Type) for certain types of drives and you can check the website for your burner to see if such a tool is available. I have a LITEON and both DVD Decrypter and LITEON INC. provide a way to change the book type. If this doesn't work, you should try burning it at a slow speed with good media. Read the DVD media forums on here for discussion on media.

4. dotankui

dotankui Member

thanks t-bone

much searching i came up with a solution. for some reason dvd decrypter wont let me change the book type on my samsung dvd writer. dvd decrypter is a great program so i was a bit cheesed when it did not work for me! anyhow.....

this is what did work for me: a) ripped the dvd i wanted back up using dvd shrink to an iso image file, b) got nero up and running, and unknown to me before nero would let me change the book type of the image i was burning. changed book type from dvd+r dl to dvd-rom.

fingers crossed, put the burnt backup into my home player and it worked! will try it out again and see what happens, hopefully i have worked it out.

thanks again

5. dotankui

dotankui Member

OOPS...

if you want to change the book type in nero, click on recorder, click on choose recorder and select the drive you are burning with, click on options, choose dvd rom!

bingo, easy peasy chums