1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning dual layer dvds

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Anunnaki, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Anunnaki

Anunnaki Member

I have heard that with a dual layer dvd i can burn a movie on one side and burn music on the other side. Is this really true? I have been very successful with burning movies, but i have no idea what the correct way of burning dual layer dvd's and/or with music on the otherside(if its really possible). I been scanning through the forums trying to dig up an already answered question, i came up with a couple, but not really detailed in explaining things like do i need a different type of burner (I have the pioneer 107) do i need a different type of program (i use xcopy platinum, but i also have dvddecryptor and dvdshrink. I also have nero6, but never used it. Im really asking if there is a set of instructions i can click on to walk me through if all the dvd info gods are kinda too busy to walk me through it!!! thanks!!

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Dual Layer means there's 2 layers of DYE on the disk.

It's not "Dual Sided".

The burners/readers will see 2 x more information because there is 2 layers.

Dual Layer media (9 gb) are just the same as a 4.3gb. You just put more stuff on it !

My 2 cents...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Anunnaki, the blank media you are talking about is dual sided discs sometimes called flipper discs. These are 4.7gig blanks on both sides and could be burned the way you asked about. Don't confuse them with the dual layer blanks as stated by cougar. Dual layer blanks need a dual layer burner, the flipper discs can be burned with any dvd burner.

Jerry

4. Anunnaki

Anunnaki Member

Thanks jerry746, and cougar_ii for replying.. ok i understand now about the difference between the two versions of disc. Im assuming that i need the flipper disc to burn both movies and music, and that i can use my pioneer 107 burner. Now is there a special way to burn both movies and music , because i dont remember seeing anything about music on my xcopy platinum. Do i first burn the movie, then take the disc and flip it over and burn the music with a music program(i have acoustica mp3 cd burner)or do i need a different program, and/or am i just totally off with my understanding of how this process works? Can you clarify the process or Is there an instruction i can click on to use. thanks..

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Burning the audio on a dvd needs a program that will support that process. Nero Ultra 6 I think can do it. There is a 30 trial download if you need to see if it works. I think it has to be burned in digital audio. I never tried that yet so I'm guessing a little on this.

Jerry

6. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

Yes just burn the movie on one side then flip the disc over and burn the busic with any program that will burn music to a dvd which most will. and thats it nothing special

7. Anunnaki

Anunnaki Member

Ok, Im feeling more knowledgeable now to attempt this project. Thanks a bunch jerry746 and rhino351. I will drop a line and let everyone know how the process went.

8. seandesad

seandesad Guest

have never seen these flipper disks.. where might one get them? Might be a good thing to have for 2 disk backups.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Most of the on line stores have them. I get my regular dvds from Meritline.com. I know they sell them. I would assume that Supermediastore.com and Newegg.com have them also.

Jerry

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Look for DVD10, as these are the flipper discs.

Dvd5 = single layer
    Dvd9 = dual layer
    Dvd10 = double sided