1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Dual Layers.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by N_R_23, Apr 28, 2007.

1. N_R_23

N_R_23 Member

I've been using Shrink for years now, but just now tried DLs for the 1st time. I changed all the settings and the process goes all the way through the encoding process. Right before it starts to burn it spits out the disc and gives me the message "compilation cannot be written to blank disc". I even tried multiple discs, so it's not a bad disc and I tried it on both my laptop and PC, I get the same error. Am I missing something? I appreciate it guys.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What program are you using to actually burn the disk? Also what is the make and model number of your drive? What brand media are you using?

There really is no need at all for using DVDShrink to make a dual layer disk. You don't need to Shrink the movie so why are you using DVD Shrink if I may ask?

3. N_R_23

N_R_23 Member

My PC has a Lite-On SOHW series burner. The laptop is my wifes and I don't get use it often and don't know what model it is. The only thing I can tell you is that it's a HP computer. The discs I am trying is "Dynex". I'm trying dual layers because I'm trying to back up several concert DVD's with way to much "red bar" to put on a single layer disc. I'm using Nero 6 in conjunction with Shrink. Thanks.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Any encryption can be removed by DVDFab Decrypter. Open the files in DVD Shrink to make sure they're DVD compliant. All we need is a successful quick analysis and close Shrink. If the analysis doesn't complete, then process the decrypted files with FixVTS. Once you have a cleaned source use ImgBurn (freeware) to burn the DL. It does a good job of setting the layerbreak. For an ISO you use the Write mode and for Video_TS files you use the Build mode in ImgBurn. Nero 6 was updated but wasn't ever very good for working with DL. The Nero 7 is better, but for DL I prefer ImgBurn.

I forgot. When burning video you're better off using quality media. I've never heard of Dynex. Verbatim is some of the best and what many of us use.

bbmayo
    Just tryin to help out. If I missed something or got something wrong, just jump on in.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I think you hit most of it PacMan777, however I was just a little curious if his/her drive will even burn dual layer disks at all? Seeing how they are unsure of the model number of the drive or even the computer they are using I am not sure if the drive is capable at all. Also those are probably some of the worst disks you could use, and I mean even Memorex DL disks would be better.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Guess I went out on a limb assuming their system had a DVD burner. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess they need to look and see what they have. The Nero software should ID the drive. If they don't have a burner, then they can save the info and use it when they get one. ;) I have to agree with you on the media. At least I've heard of CMC. I thought I'd heard of most of the media, but Dynex got me.

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Dynex is best buys own brand name,
    I am curious though to see who manufacturers them.

i am thinking proabably CMC

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Bowler
    That would raise them to being just as bad as CMC. LOL Thanks for giving me the info. I was clueless on that one. N_R_23 could tell us if he downloaded DVD Identifier and scanned one for us.

9. N_R_23

N_R_23 Member

Easy guys! O.K. I tried Imgburn at the suggestion of Pacman777 and the process seemed to go well from ISO create to burn and all went fine. However neither disc played back. Guess maybe these discs are crap. You get what you pay for. Thanks for your time.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Besides the Verbatim there's Taiyo Yuden. Actually TY makes some of the better media for other brands as well such as the Sony +R made in Japan. I like the Taiwan Sony by Sony as well. Many of the name brands with Made In Japan on the label are good. I don't know if it's still the case, but the 16X Fuji MIJ were TY. Hope that helps in picking out some media. Let us know how it turns out.

If you don't mind you could help our curiosity. Download DVD Identifier and let us know which company manufactured the Dynex.

11. N_R_23

N_R_23 Member

P.S. Identifer sez...Manufacturer: Ricoh Co. Ltd.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The Ricoh is normally some of the best media around. They used to make a lot of the better +R media for the top brands. I've even bought Verbatim made by Ricoh. That was the case until a year or so ago. I sort of stopped tracking different media then. It'll be interesting to see what the change in media turns up. If I had a Best Buy nearby, I'd be tempted to waste a few dollars to check some Dynex out.

13. N_R_23

N_R_23 Member

Yup, true Pacman, I do want to try Verbatim because they are my favorite single layers. With Verbatim, to date I have never had a coaster and maybe it's just me, but I can see a difference in picture quality. Expensive though.

14. N_R_23

N_R_23 Member

Keep an eye out in your next weekly ad and you might spot the deal I got 2 weeks ago. 15 pack WITH slim CD cases $16.99!!!!

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If you feel adventurous, try some +R Sony either MIJ or MIT. I've burned hundreds on different burners without a coaster. They're a little cheaper than the highend verbatim. I forget who it was, but one of our members bought some budget verbatim and found he had CMC. I checked a database and sure enough CMC has made some Verbatim.

Edit: N_R_23
    My bad. I forgot we're talking DL here. Go with the Verbatim. :)

16. Mez

Mez Active member

On sale Dynex goes 50 for $5. A GREAT buy if they worked. They might be all right but I have not risked my $5 yet. I have not felt that lucky yet!

I have been having problems with Fugi the recently, Sony only Verbatum has been 100% OK. That is why I have not felt very lucky.

17. N_R_23

N_R_23 Member

50 for $5.00? I think you are talking about the CD-Rs? I did get those and they work fine. Iv'e never seen a difference in CDs. They all seem the same to me whether for audio or data.

18. Mez

Mez Active member

I have seen both go for that price. I have seen Memorex DVDs go for 50 for $10 but they were real crap! When buying CDRs I only look at the price tag I have never seen a bad one since they stopped making foil ones. That was almost 10 years ago.