1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning dvd+r to dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by gg2005, Oct 5, 2004.

1. gg2005

gg2005 Guest

I have a movie (in vob, ifo, bup file) on a dvd+r disc, but when I try to burn it using nero 6, to a dvd-r disc it tells me the wrong disc type is inserted. Is there any way I can copy to dvd-r or do I just have to get +r discs? Is there any software out there that can convert? Tried using DVD Decrypter but to no avail. I'm very new to this sort of thing (I'm 31 and I just got my first computer 3 weeks ago)so I sure the answer is staring me in the face!!!! Can anyone help?

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Is your burner a dual format dvdrw (dvd+r and dvd-r)?
    Did you burn the dvd+r?

3. gg2005

gg2005 Guest

No it's not dual (I don't think) and no I didn't burn the dvd+r disc myself. I have managed it now but with 4 days of mucking around... and dowloading several progs. After decrypting it (don't even know if I had to do that now), Nero 6 couldn't do anything with it, so I used dvdSanta to burn it as an image. There must be an easier way of doing it??? It took hours! Can I expect the same problems trying to copy other types of discs, or does it just depend on what type of files they are? I was told nero was the best thing going for this type of thing, but so far all it's good for is burning on the fly with same discs. Or am I just being ignorant?

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Once the dvd has been copied, compressed, and the copyright protection removed you should be able to use the copy disc feature in nero to copy the copy. I'm not sure I understand what your doing. Make sure you use a format (+r or-r) that is compliant with your burner. Also make sure you use high quality media when burning vidio files.

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If it is NOT a commercial DVD (meaning a copy-protected one they seel), then technically you could just copy ALL the folders on the DVD (AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS, etc.) to your hard drive, and then burn the files onto a DVD. The fact that it is a DVD+R has nothing to do with it. Most burners can read both formats (+/-R). The +/-R is only important for burning. First, make sure how many GBs is on the DVD (4.7 or 9+ if dual layer). Your burner probably only burns 4.7 GB. If the disc is protected, you'll need DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink. If it will fit on one DVD, just follow the DVD Decrypter instructions carefully or you can try free DVD Shrink.

BTW, you should practice on a rewritable DVD! I have a feeling you will be making alot of coasters as a newbie.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  6. gg2005

gg2005 Guest

Think I've got it now. Learning all the time. And yes you're right, my living room is full of coasters!!!! Only £30 for 100 tho so ain't too bad. Thanx.