1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Gers9, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Gers9

Gers9 Member

Hi,

Hoping someone can put me on the right direction as I'm new to all this!
    When I downloaded my first movie from a download site and burned it onto disc (dvd-r) it plays ok on my PC, but when I try it on my dvd player the disc doesn't read and it's the same on my laptop. I know that dvd-r's play on my dvd and laptop as I've played them before. Could it be the format of the the movie that I downloaded? What is the best format to download movies that can play in most if nor all DVD players?
    (My standalone dvd player can only play in DVD format)

Thank you.

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

You need to convert the movie into "DVD format". What format is it in? AVI? MPEG?

Download GSpot, it will tell you the codec used to create the movie. Then you can work out what utils to use to convert the movie. TMPGEnc is a good place to start. Look in the Guides section once you know the file type.

Adder.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey rob,what brand of dvd-r media did you burn those files on?

How fast did you burn them?

High quality media and slow burnspeed are necessary to help the stand alone players to recognize them.

You said those stand alone players and lap top played dvd-r's before,was this on another burner or the same burner?

Different burners,different lasers. The standalones have a hard time recognizing dvd-r and dvd+r. All lasers have a different variation between them whether it is burning or playing them.It usually doesn't matter if it won't play them in their specs,you said they played dvd-r before. There is something about that burn that your other laptop and stand alone don't like.

When it comes to dvd burning,files are files-therefore the burner that produced that backup should be able to play that backup-which you said yours would play it.

The answer to the what brand of media and speed of burn will help answer it.

4. Gers9

Gers9 Member

Hi,

The brand of dvd-r media that I used was imation.
    The speed the burner was set at was max?
    The dvd-r that I play on my laptop & standalone was from another burner.
    The format of the download was in video clip!!!!

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey rob,slow it down on burning those imations. They are on the lower quality end.

Without knowing the exact manufacturer of those imation discs, keep the burn speed as slow as you can. This may help the standalones and laptop.Also keep that target at around 4300 mbs when you are burning.

Some media is so poor,stand alones will refuse to do anything with them. A media change is an easy way to check. Try a small pack maxell,fuji,tdk,or sony.

Look on the label for made in japan,these are the better discs. If you have a staple's around,they have the sony 1-8x's on sale-spindle of 50 for $19.94.

The dvd-r's you said were from another burner and probably different brand of media.At least you know they will play dvd-r.

What is the brand and model # of your pc burner?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Gers9,
    If you are simply burning the downloaded file to a DVD and then throwing it in your stand alone DVD player and expecting it to play.. well you will be waiting a while.

You have to convert that file to a DVD compliant video to be able to watch it in your stand alone player. Nero Vision Express would be the easiest method for you to do this. There are others out there but this one is very user friendly and will walk you right threw making your file DVD compliant.

The reason the file might not play on your lap top is because you don't have the correct codec installed for whatever the format of your file is.

All of saugmon's advise was very good to and should be followed, but you should also convert the file before you burn it on to a DVD again and then you should be able to view it in any DVD player.

Good Luck :)

7. Gers9

Gers9 Member

Thanks for all your help. I've manged to complete my first burn that works on my DVD player. I used all the advise given and it worked like a dream. First thing that I will do is to buy better disks.
    Only one more thing!! To download a movie with 792mb
    how long do you think it will take. I'm currently running at a speed of 512kbps & the first download took approx 7hrs!!!

Thank again for all your help.....