1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning DVD's Freezes Computer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bander, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bander

bander Member

I am making a large quantity of home videos to distribute to friends and family. When I go to copy my dvds about 1 in 3 or 1 in 5 lock up my computer completely and I have to power down. I have been using Nero and I just don't understand why I can copy a few of them and then every once in a while my computer will freeze up. It does not freeze up at any other time except when I am burning dvds. I am using a sony external dvd burner and am running with 512mb memory. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello bander, check your cooling fan/fans. They could be restricting your air flow for the tower.Clean them. Some dvd programs can increase the temperature of the tower up 5 degrees.I had to put 2 extra fans on mine.Also,make sure everything is off in the background,screen saver,antivirus,internet,and anything else that could activate while you are ripping,encoding, and burning.Your processor runs almost 100% during this process.You may want to defrag quite often,dvd's can take a toll on your harddrive. Good luck

3. bander

bander Member

Thanks. I doubt my tower is overheating. My office is upstairs in my house and it is like 55 degrees up there. I can hardly stand to sit up there and work. Ha. I will make sure every is off in the background. Thanks for the advice.