1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning dvds...newbie questions

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mmafan, Mar 29, 2007.

1. mmafan

mmafan Member

hey iam using roxio creator v 9, but for some damn reason it is telling me that my dvd is dirty saying clean it of scratches, fingerprings etc...i just got the dvd brand new yesterday and it is clean as can be...it is telling me this will all of my other dvds to so idk wtf the program is talking about...someone told me dvdshrink or ripit4me are the programs to use....im using memorex dvd-r 's and just realized there are like dvd r + etc....is ther a difference...my memorex discs say they hold 4.7 gb, but the dvds i have are like 7+ GB...will dvd shrink n ripit4me make me downsize the files or what....any program advice or info on burning dvds would be appreciated and whats this dvd-5 dvd-9 stuff ive been reading? any advice would be killer

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I don't know if a lot of people use Roxio Creator.... I think most of us would avoid even installing it.

Correct:
    Stop using Memorex asap. They are going to give you problems. Get some Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden.

+R or -R... There is a difference but nothing to really worry about. I use -R but could just as easily use +R.

DVD-5/DVD-9... Click the blue links to see the definitions. It will take you here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

3. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

I persoanlly have never had any problems with Memorex blank media but I do prefer Ritek. I recently tried Taiyo Yuden and think they are as good as Ritek, plus I can purchase Silver Yuden that work with my soon to be out-dated Casio thermal disk labeler.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With Roxio, do you have the Drag to Disc on when you get those errors? Try turning off Drag to Disc to see if that helps.

Memorex used to sell media manufactured by leading companies. Over the past couple of years they've been selling DVDs that a lot of people are avoiding. Occasionally they sell some good dvds, but I've also seen where they were still selling Daxon and CMC manufactured media.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  5. pakz5

pakz5 Member

I think DVD-R media is more recognizable by most dvd players than +Rs but not too sure.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I don't think anyone is really keeping count anymore. Most of the equipment from the past few years recognize both equally well. There may be the odd drive or one of the TV recorders that restrict the format, but it's not common. A burner that will booktype +R to DVD ROM makes +R the most compatible overall. -R won't booktype.

7. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

And that's what I do, I buy DVD+ and booktype it tp ROM. Thanks Lite-On!!

8. Bobby728

Bobby728 Member

I have a very old DVD player in my bedroom.The manual calls it a (Laser Player)thats how old it is.It acually plays more types of DVDs and CDs then my DVD player in my basement for my home theater room.The (Laser Player) plays everthing including VCDs and CDRW,as my good DVD player Only plays DVD+R,DVD-R,,CDs,DVD DL.GO FIGURE!!!!

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You forgot to tell us the brand and model. Nowadays many of the cheap players will play most anything flat and round. My cheapo plays more formats in DVD and CD than I care to remember.