1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning dvds with shrink and nero express

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by millieann, Feb 4, 2005.

1. millieann

millieann Member

I recently downloaded shrink 3.20 and installed Nero Express 6.3.2.20 V6.0 for the purpose of copying my dvd movies. I believe I an using the shrink correctly, but when I have backed up on the shrink, I am not sure where to do from here. When I try and access the data in the Nero Express, it does not give me the option to select my recorder, and therefore I cannot burn to a dvd. What am I doing wrong here? Is there somewhere I can get pictorals of how to do this>

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

If you go into the settings of DVD Shrink and tick the box that says "allow burning with Nero" then when shrink has finished it will automatically activate Nero to burn.

3. millieann

millieann Member

When setting up my preferences with Shrink, I did check the box to burn with Nero, but it does not automatically go to that program, and I do not seem to have the Nero screen with the CD Rom Icon

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

Is your Nero an OEM?
    If so you need to purchase the full version of Nero.
    The other thing to do is uninstall Nero and reinstall it and then that will allow it to recognize all your programs/burners/ROMs etc.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  5. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

I am not the original poster, but I have Nero version OEM and it has always been recognized just fine by DVD Shrink, I don't think reinstalling is needed. Maybe reinstall the lastest version of Shrink. 3.2.1.5 I believe is the latest. It is needed to do the latest dvds anyway I have found.

I'm confused by what you mean by "cdrom icon" that you don't see and think you should. Clarify?

If you search for Chronicles of Riddick backup problems, you will find this video has the "boy in green shorts" in Unreferenced Materials section on the DVD.

To back up my copy of CoR, I selected all of Unreferenced Material and used the option "Still Image" to remove it.

Of course all this assumes you used DVD Decryter first to rip the protection schemes first and then open those files in DVD Shrink.

We need more concise info to help you.

The 3rd tab above is called GUIDES --- there are lots of pictorials there ...look for Backup using DVD Decryter 3.5.2 and DVD Shrink 3.2.1.5.

Good luck.

6. bardie

bardie Regular member

Well if you think Nero is fine then yeah maybe reinstall Shrink.
    Good luck.

7. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

8. millieann

millieann Member

So if I understand you correctly, after I use backup in the shrink program, I stay within that program and it actually burns the dvd there. I do not have to open the nero program at all? I really am new at this type of thing, so forgive me if I sound dense. I did download the latest vs. available for shrink, and installed the Nero Express 6 version. My problem seems to be where and when to start the burn, and where to store the backup that is to be burned. In previous tries, I have stored it in backup folder in the C drive. Is this right? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

9. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Here's what I do step by step.
    (You will need to tell each software program where you want the files stored)

First I use DVD Decrypter in File mode. It will automatically make a folder BlahBlah subfolder Video_TS (data files store here). DVD Decrypter settings are in screenshots on a lot of guides. Takes about 17 minutes on my computer.
    [Others may use ISO mode, I don't -- it is just my preference and I have no problems]

After it is finished, I open DVD Shrink and hit Open Files, and if I want to make changes (uncheck other languages, no extras, etc) do so then hit Backup (again settings are explained with screenshots in guides).

Shrink will go through Encode phase and then right into Burning phase in the same window it pops up. Don't touch your computer - go do something outdoors or whatever but don't use your computer. Takes about 1+ hour on my computer.

When its done, DVD shrink will pop up a complete d window and tell you where the Movie Temp File is that you can now delete.

That's all there is to it unless the movie in question has some Unreferenced material or other weirdness that is addressed in other posts.

But for 99% of the DVDs I have backed up, this is all I had to do.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  10. millieann

millieann Member

Thanks I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know how I do. I also downloaded dvd decrypter, so if I will use that first and go from there. Thanks for the help

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

@ millieann

I have Nero Express. The option in Shrink to burn automatically with Nero doesn't work with Nero Express. I don't know why it won't see your recorder, that's kinda weird. But what you can do is download DVD Decrypter and set Shrink to burn automatically using Decrypter.

12. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Actually, it does work with Nero Express ( I am using Nero OEM Express 6 that came with my LG 16x super writer).

If the above advice doesn't work for you, we will need to know ALL your system specs and all dvd related software loaded to go further.

I truly think that the majority of millieann's confusion was in the expectation that Nero would pop up from DVD Shrink as a "noticeable" other program running.

Good luck.

Also make sure ASPI is loaded correctly if problem still happens.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  13. millieann

millieann Member

Well here it is another day. I followed Livndgir's instructions, used the decrypter, then followed the instructions for dvd shrink, took over l 1/2 hrs. to do all this analyzing and ecoding, then a screen came up that said where the file was located, and that was that, no burning, no nero. I cannot seem to bring these files up in nero. I am totally frustrated with this program. I understand from someone else, that it should take only about 20 mi. to do the job with these programs. Any other suggestions?

14. millieann

millieann Member

Well here it is another day. I followed Livndgir's instructions, used the decrypter, then followed the instructions for dvd shrink, took over l 1/2 hrs. to do all this analyzing and ecoding, then a screen came up that said where the file was located, and that was that, no burning, no nero. I cannot seem to bring these files up in nero. I am totally frustrated with this program. I understand from someone else, that it should take only about 20 mi. to do the job with these programs. Any other suggestions?

15. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Nero should have an option to burn DVD files from hard drive. Select this, find the folder that Shrink dumped these files into, open it up and you should see a bunch of IFO, VOB, and BUP files. Select all these files and burn them to disc. If it does not give you an option to burn DVD files from your hard drive, select data disc and burn these files like that. That should work.

16. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

I'm really sorry that you are having such a hard time, millieann.

The screen that came up at the end of shrink's procedure was telling you the location of the temp files and that it was okay to delete them.

If you didn't get an error message in this process, shrink thought it did everything you asked. Odd.

By the way I don't know what kind of machine your friend has that can decrypt, encode and burn a dvd in 20 minutes, but I'd be interested in knowing. I have a decent system and it always takes upward of an hour for me to do it all.

There is obviously something wrong that we are missing for you.

Do you have Nero InCD installed? If so uninstall it. It makes for problems with Nero. Also if you have Roxio in addition to Nero, search this forum for how to removie Roxio (it's a problem maker).

Post your system specs and a list of the dvd software you have installed.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  17. millieann

millieann Member

I think maybe my problem is I cannot seem to access my downloaded files after the shrink finishes its process. I installed Nero Express 6.3.1.20 myself and updated it on their website. I downloaded shrink 3.2 and also dvd decrypter. I thought if you had shrink you would not need another decrypter. Also when I try to bring up my files in my hard drive folder in the nero program I cannot seem to access them. Everything looks okay in shrink, plus the burn button is not highlighted on nero. I have a dvd cd-rw drive. I am not really sure what recorder I should burn to. As you can see I am really a novice with this stuff. Amy pretty computer literate, but this has me baffled.

18. millieann

millieann Member

I think maybe my problem is I cannot seem to access my downloaded files after the shrink finishes its process. I installed Nero Express 6.3.1.20 myself and updated it on their website. I downloaded shrink 3.2 and also dvd decrypter. I thought if you had shrink you would not need another decrypter. Also when I try to bring up my files in my hard drive folder in the nero program I cannot seem to access them. Everything looks okay in shrink, plus the burn button is not highlighted on nero. I have a dvd cd-rw drive. I am not really sure what recorder I should burn to. As you can see I am really a novice with this stuff. Amy pretty computer literate, but this has me baffled.

19. squizzle

squizzle Active member

After Shrink is done it tells you the location of your shrunk DVD files. DO NOT delete these until you have successfully burned them. It should show the location name in blue and you should be able to click on it like an internet link. Any burning program that burns data files to DVD should be able to burn this with no problem. Decrypter can be used to burn the shrunk movie too, but in order to do this you have to set it up to do this before you shrink the movie.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

This is a guide to using DVD Shrink. It should tell you everything you need to know to just compress and burn a movie.

20. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Any news Millieann?