1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by booperq, Feb 1, 2005.

1. booperq

booperq Regular member

I just purchased a new Gateway computer and wanted a DVD burner to back up my movies in case something went wrong with them. However, when I go to burn a DVD it comes up saying,"Copy right protection cannot read DVD!" I feel as if I wasted my money on my computer but someone said there is something to get to get around this? Can anyone help me?

2. Woz

Woz Regular member

Yes there is. I order to backup your DVD's you will need to rip them into your computer and take away any encrpytion that is on there. My adivce is to use DVD Decrypter, its free and quite fast. Just put the disc in the drive and rip it into your hard drive, put a blank DVD in and burn!
    There are other programs like DVD Region CSS Free and AnyDVD which also work well. Let us know how you get on.

Hope this helps

Woz

3. booperq

booperq Regular member

Hi! Thanks for the information. I did download it and when I bring the decrypter up and put a dvd in, it goes through the process but I am lost from there. Do I use my dvd software to burn it or does the movie go somewhere in my hard drive?
    Thank you.

4. Woz

Woz Regular member

In one of the menus at the top in the drop down menu there will be an option thats says <ISO>, which if you have already ripped it in it will be on <READ>. In able to write the data to the disc you must select the <WRITE> option. Locate the file and burn. Alternatively you can find the .iso and .md5 file in your hard drive (C:). Just burn the .md5 file in DVD Decrypter or burn the .iso is your chosen program. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if it works.

Woz

5. booperq

booperq Regular member

I think that I pretty much got it now. First when I open the dvd decripter I go to Mode, Iso then read. Then after it reads the dvd I go to write and it writes it. I noticed on a dvd that I was going to do it says it will not fit and my origioal dvd isn't more then 2 hrs. Also, should I close out all running programs and restrain from doing anything else on my computer as it is burning.
    Thanks a lot for you help. It is really appreciated.

6. Woz

Woz Regular member

If a movie does not fit on a DVD then I would suggest using DVD Shrink. Its great tool and then you should be able to put the movie onto a DVD. However, sometimes, extras have to be ripped out.

With regards to closing applications whilst burning then do so!! Anything that could potentially slow the burning process close it. I personally just run apps, but then im inpatient and always like to do two jobs rather than one. Hope this helps.

Woz

7. booperq

booperq Regular member

Hey thanks a lot.......this is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate it.

8. Woz

Woz Regular member

No problems, anytime!

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This was an advanced question????

Anyway booperq it sounds like you have your problem solved, but if you would like a guide to use while backing up your movies check here http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

10. booperq

booperq Regular member

Hey thanks I'm sure that will be helpful!!!!!!!