1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning / Encoding in Nero takes forever?!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Darkus, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Darkus

Darkus Guest

I have just started using nero to make my own VCDs and just wondering if its supposed to take 50 mins to encode a VCD from a 400 MB avi, without it even starting to write on the cd yet?

2. mrfamous

mrfamous Member

If your original mpeg is not VCD compatible Nero has to re-encode it, so - yes.
    Better encode to VCD complient mpeg1 file when you create your video.

3. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

you would be better off encoding it first, then adding it to your VCD compilation in Nero.. quality would be better, and may take less time.. although, 50 minutes does not seem like a long time for encoding.. you must have a really fast PC !!

try encoding using TMPGenc, guide found here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/divx_with_subtitles_to_vcd.cfm

you can skip the part about subtitles if you don't have them.. (I never had to use subtitles myself, all my movies were in english)

best of luck!

4. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

wow 50 minutes is fast just wait till he gets TMPGEnc its faster then nero hum I'm guessing he has a 2ghz system or the file he had was just a tad bit wrong for vcd thus it didnt have to do much converting.it would also depend on how many minutes the actual video is too.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2002