1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning from an External Drive

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by HelloWrld, May 3, 2005.

1. HelloWrld

HelloWrld Member

I'm running a relative through the whole process of backing up discs, and his hard drive is full. He plans to buy a 20 GB external drive, but I don't want him to do it unless I'm positive it'll work out for him.

1) How do you tell what USB version your USB ports are?

He'll be using this drive for personal use as well, so I'd like to make sure he's packin USB 2.0, but I don't know where to look.

2) Has anybody had a problem burning from an external drive, specifically on USB 1.1 or lower if such a thing exists?

Worst case scenario, he's got USB 1.1, what's the fastest burn rate you've gotten off of a 1.1 connection?

Any help on any of these questions would be of help.

Thanks,
    E-MAN

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I assumed that if a drive calls for USB 2.0, it will still be backwards compatible with 1.1 becuase I'm almost positive that USB is backwards compatible, could someone confirm that as well?

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Look in device manager, under Universal Serial Buses (at the bottom), if it says enhanced or similar then you have USB2.0 ports.

As for no.2 I have had some tests, but only with data and not video.

However i do know several have good success from them, but if it is 1.1, then I would say that your best bet would be to burn at LOW speeds, possibly as low as 2x, as you want the burn speed to at least be able to match up with transfer speed + overheads like controllers/software influnences...............

3. HelloWrld

HelloWrld Member

Thanks for the tip, I myself have "Enhanced" written next to one line of my USB devices. However, that's only one line of 13, does that one line mean that all of the ports are 2.0?

My other question that is still unanswered is even if he has 1.1, would the external drive still be functional? Can you run a 2.0 HDD off of 1.1, how much slower would it be?

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Should be unless there is something written different in the manual or hub documentation.
    However some maybe shared, so if you use 2 of the shared ones then only one shall work.

If the HD is backwards compatible it ishould work fine, just remember you will not be able to achieve solid 'warp factor' burns......