1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Gamecube ISO's to Mini-DVD

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by sirksam, Jan 31, 2007.

1. sirksam

sirksam Regular member

Hi,

I'm having some trouble burning Gamecube ISO's and getting them to play successfully, I have been using Mini-DVDR media, the brand is "Number", I have been using Nero BurnROM 6, a long time ago, I burned a Super Smash Bros Melee ISO file to a Mini-DVD, when I put it in the Gamecube (modded with the qoob chip) it boots fine, but the only problem is everything takes a long time to load, I want to be able to burn it and play it successfully at normal speed without having the needs of taking the top of my Gamecube case off.

So what I'm asking is if somebody could tell me how to do this successfully? If you think I could use a better program for burning GC Games, then let me know about that also, really appreciated if someone could help.

2. skew

skew Member

I'm also pretty new to this, but what I have found is this.

Imgburn for burning, It's free, its great, It allows you to control the burn speed and set it lower than the "rated" speed of the media.
    Ritek mini dvd-rs (go4 recording dye baby!): they're sold under the Ridata,traxdata and other brands

This combo has proven nearly flawless to me so far.

Breakdown:
    10 discs burnt
    6 discs play flawlessly(like originals)
    3 discs wont play because the .ISO was smaller than 1.425,670 gb (.ISO's have to be this size to boot properly(with my chip anyway)but if they are smaller for some reason, a program called FSTFIX fixes the problem)
    1 Alas one disc was just plain a bad burn, but all things considered this seems a winning combination

3. JuveFan

JuveFan Member

I agree with skew, Ritek mini-DVDs seem to be the best.

But what DVD-burner do you use skew? I haven't been as successful with burning as you have. For me only about 30 - 40 % of my attempts work properly (Given that all the ISOs I use are full size). So far I've tried an LG burner and a Toshiba one I think.

Anyways, I hope you tell me which brand you're using, as I think it also plays a part in successfully burning Mini-DVDs for GameCube games.

Thanks in advance.

4. skew

skew Member

no prob dude,
    Its a "lite-on DVDRW shw-160p6s"
    Its a cd-rw dvd+/- rw dual layer burner that I got this summer with this system.
    And yeah, I think you've got it right about it being an element in successful burns.
    A lot of people start saying "ADJUST THE POT" as soon as a single disc won't boot. But it seems as if the media,burning program,burning speed,burner,chip,chip bios,laser pot etc. all play a part.
    I would try the easy changes first before more expensive or potentially dangerous measures(like pot tweaking for instance)
    so yeah,play arond with media and burning programs/burn speeds before any thing more drastic.
    what have you tried so far?

5. JuveFan

JuveFan Member

Thanks again skew.

And I agree with you about tweaking with the media and burning software/hardware before adjusting the POT.

As for Mini-DVDs, I've tried Ritek (Under the name "Ridata", Eton, and a couple of no-name brands. Ritek is the best of what I tried, since it's the only one where I successfully copid a game without and DREs, despite the fact the success ratio is low.

As for DVD drives, I've tried Toshiba and LG. The LG DVD burner has been a nightmare in copying Mini-DVDs, as I end up with burn errors right from the start. A bit better luck with the Toshiba, but I think it may be a reason in my failed copies since Ritek seems to be working for a lot of people.

I've used 2 programs in my burning activities, ImgBurn and Nero 6. But I'm not really sure which is better, they both do the job well when the burning speed is set to 2x.

I'm going to try a different burner in the next few days (Hopefully I can find someone with a LiteOn DVD burner, since you say it's working well with you).

One last note: It seems that ISO files are better than GCM files when it comes to burning for some reason.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  6. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

iso and gcm are the same thing, if you have a gcm file, just change the extension to iso, and vice versa.

7. skew

skew Member

Yeah thats what I've heard .GCM=.ISO, but Ive also heard of people having trouble burning the gcm with nero, But I think renaming works.
    (I think the .gcm extension was created by the people streaming games from their PC's to their cubes, and they work with those proggys)
    SO yeah I'm glad to hear your not using cloneCD Juvefan(I used it once and it screwed up the disc. After 10-15 minutes of burning"burn failed")
    I am suprised to hear that you can burn mini's at x2 with nero 6 (when I tried nero wouldn't let me go beneath the rated speed of x4)
    Now I use ImgBurn at lower and lower speeds (my last burns wrere done at x1)
    I use the default settings, and make sure that the image size is correct.
    I could post a log if you'd like?
    (Another tool I use is the "dolphin" GCN emulator for PC. My computer is nowhere near powerful enough to actually play games, but it serves to check if the .iso's are completely corrupt or not. there's a link to it, in the "best gamecube links" sticky thread at the top of this board)

8. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

what exacty IS the right size for a gcm/iso?

9. skew

skew Member

As far as I know the right size is"1.425,760"
    This is the size listed under the file(if you dont have file extensions hidden) such as

Mario sunshine
    .ISO file
    1.425.760 kb

For example.
    however the pop up context menu say's its 1.35GB

And finally if you bring up the properties, it lists the size as "1.35 GB (1,459,978,240 bytes)"(and the same thing again as "size on disk")

I dont know why windows(I use XP) lists so many differant sizes for the same file.
    But I hope this helps.

10. revengine

revengine Regular member

I'm brand new at burning Game cube or any other games. Is there a mod chip or any other special preperations for backing up and playing your personal collection of game cube discs ?