1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning home video to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by illias, Dec 30, 2003.

1. illias

illias Member

Hello,

I hope someone can help me here.

I am trying to burn 55 min homevideo taken with my dv camcorder to a DVD using Sonic Mydvd 3.5.(record directly to a disc) Everything goes smoothly until after about 33 minutes it stops and tells me the job is done, eventhough there is still 22 minutes left on the tape and the size of the created dvd is only just over 2 GB.

Has anyone experienced this sort of problem before?

-illias

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya illias,

We're going to need more info than that!!

What form are the files from your camcorder?
    AVI? what codec used? Canopus/Microsoft?
    MPEG 1?
    MPEG 2?
    Something else?

In Sonic MyDVD, try setting the TEMP to the disk with the largest free space:
    try burning to a hard-disk folder.

Make sure you have AT LEAST 13 gig free (combination of TEMP/scratch/output folder).

Have Fun...

3. malum

malum Regular member

I would highly recommend capturing it to the hard drive first. At the moment you are capturing, converting to mpeg2, making a set of DVD compatible VOBs and burning them to a DVD on the fly.
    This would test the fastest system to it's limits and if anything goes wrong you have a coaster.

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

malum is correct. ALWAYS capture to HD first. Also, try to capture in DV type II since it'll be more compatible with the proggies out there. If you capture in Type I, that's fine since there are some utilities that can change it to Type II.

Lots of proggies can capture. I haven't used MyDVD but have used Adobe Premiere (advanced) and Ulead Video Studio (beginner).

drchips suggest 13GB of space but you'll need double that. 13GB just to capture 1 hr but you'll need to edit and render so expect another 13GB.

After editing and rendering (keeping it as a DV avi), then use an encoder (TMPGEnc, CCE, MainConcept, etc) to encode it to MPG2, DVD specs. Do NOT use encoders that are "built-in" to these video editing suites. They generally suck. (Unless you're using Premiere in which case you get choose your plug-ins.) You can use a bitrate calculator to figure out the bitrate to fill up a DVD-R.

A little longer process than what you've done but the results are vastly superior.

5. illias

illias Member

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate it. I think I will try to capturing it to hard drive first. Originally the idea was to record directly to a disc and save my poor hard drive capacity (17GB) but obviously that don't seem to work with sonic mydvd. I also have TMPGEnc, but the problem is that it will not allow me to encode mpeg2 because it is a freeware and 30 days period is expired.

Happy New Year!

-illias

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you get Pinnacle Studio 8 it will allow you to capture in MPEG format to your HD saving lots of space, though it does take much longer because it renders every 17 minutes of captured footage, but the quality is excellent. It is worth baring this in mind because 17Gbs of HD space translates to only about one hour and ten minutes of capture time in full DV quality capture, and even then you will need more space for rendering. You can of course install another HD but for less money you can get Studio 8 which I would recommend anyway for all DV editing and slideshow creation. It also allows you to create animated menus quite easily before rendering to disc.

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Yow!!!

[bold]Hi illias:[/bold] I didn't realise you were trying to take it from your camcorder straight to MyDVD, not surprised you had problems.
    Good job that malum was on the ball and twigged what you were trying to say (I musta been half asleep, <hangs head in shame>), I said 13 GB coz I assumed you already had the data on your hard-drive.

ONLY 17GB, you are begging for trouble, get another drive (sell the wife/kids/dog), beg, borrow, steal, somehow I think you will need it.
    And to think I sometimes have trouble finding space on MY kit (with over 700 gig).

[bold]malum:[/bold] good job, what led you to suspect he needed to capture first? I re-read the post and missed it.

[bold]whassup:[/bold] good point about DV type II.

Have Fun...

8. malum

malum Regular member

The bit about having created the DVD and having stuff left on the tape when finished.

BTW If you are going to edit I recommend capturing in AVI it's much more editor friendly.

As mentioned I suspect that the problem is the lack of space on the hard drive, if Sonic Mydvd is doing all the capture and conversion for you it will be using a huge amount of temporary space

9. grovesej

grovesej Guest

illias

If memory serves correct, under some circumstances MyDVD has a 2GB limit. I believe it has something to do with the version of MYDVD you are using and also the OS that you are running.

10. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You said originally that your movie is 2Gb approx and you have 17Gb HD space - can't see what the problem is then (any rendering wouldn't take up much space). After burning direct to disc you can then erase all the files to free up the space again. I would not recommend converting to avi since you will notice a BIG difference in output quality.

11. malum

malum Regular member

a 2Gb Mpeg2 will be about a 15GB avi which is where the problem lies. If the software is catpuring in AVI and then converting to Mpeg2 on the fly... not enough space.

12. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Well I think he was trying to upload 55mins of DV footage from his camcorder and I presume in full DV quality. This will take up about 12Gb of space, leaving up to 5Gb for rendering which is about OK. If he was short of space he should have gotten a prompt to this effect and this prompt would have occurred after full uploading and before burning. So I don't think the problem is lack of HD space - just my opinion.

13. drchips

drchips Active member

Hi Guys,

Traditionally, MyDVD does not give any warning about lack of disk space (either for the TEMP folder OR the final output folder).

It just continues processing UNTIL it runs out of space THEN bombs out with an error that does not give any indication of what was wrong!!!

Critical settings are:

TEMP folder (by default uses same as Windows), best to put MyDVD's TEMP on the drive with largest free space.

Render space, MyDVD can use space according to the following:
    1 x size of all input files (video & audio de-multiplexed)
    1 x DVD size you are creating (temp image build while multiplexing)
    1 x DVD size you are creating (final output)

All TEMP stuff is removed AFTER final output, IF you have the settings correct!!! (if you get them wrong, the temp files are NOT deleted)

So, assuming 12 Gb AVI, MyDVD will use as temp
    12 + 4.3 = 16.3 GB
    PLUS 4.3 GB for final.

It is gonna be TIGHT on a 17 GB free space model ;)

Have Fun...