1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning in AC-3 / 5.1

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bluevette, Feb 13, 2005.

1. bluevette

bluevette Member

Hi,
    I am new to this forum but have gotten some great advice through reading responses to questions (Thank You). My question might be somewhat dumb. When you use Shrink and then burn the movie to a dvd using Nero, if you deselect all of the audio except 5.1 dolby digital and DTS will the dvd be created in true 5.1 / DTS and play on a home theatre system and sound like the original? I understand about the compression, will that effect the audio or will the 5.1 / DTS sound like it is suppose to speaker separation etc..

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Nick

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

wHy use both? DTS files are large.

3. bardie

bardie Regular member

I would just select 5.1, it works for me, can't tell the diff from the original.

4. bluevette

bluevette Member

I understand why not to use both. I was just wondering if when you backup a DVD using Shrink/Nero if the 5.1 / DTS will sound like the original with discrete channels.

What do you think, from your past experience?

5. bluevette

bluevette Member

Does compression effect the audio quality? If compression is below say 70% will the audio part of the still sound the same as the original in 5.1 or DTS?

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thats a question i'd not thought of before, however i very much doubt the audio can be compressed as video can. dunno what the technical ins-outs are (not worried about it really!) - dunno if it's to do with video has a lot of 'loss' that can be got rid of, ie compressed down