1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning issues - Skips (only on Standalone)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nickCR, Mar 30, 2005.

1. nickCR

nickCR Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm having a problem with my burns. I have burned a copy of 4 movies (backups ofcourse). I am using DVD Idle and DVD Fab for the copies (DVD Idle removes copywrite and regions). Here is my problem, out of the 4 movies 2 movies are causing problems. Going into the movie it is skipping. The menu screen glitches and skips. However after the first or second chapter it plays perfectly fine. Now this problem only occurs on my Standalone system. Now the issue here is that the original that I made the back-up from works fine on my Standalone system. On my computer both movies work perfectly fine.

The other two movies were burned on the same media. Imation DVD+R (same as my burner +R) and are working absolutley perfectly.

I have some programs working in the background even during the burn of the perfect copies. So that shouldn't be the problem. I also tried the burn with different programs DVD X Copy Gold, Clone DVD and they actually skipped and glitch in the EXACT same spots.

Here is what i'm running:

Dell D600 Latitude Laptop
    1 GB/ram
    32 mb Video
    DVD+R/RW
    80 GB drive (75% free)

Any suggestions?

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey nickCR,

Let me just first say that it is good that you wrote an indepth post:

Now here is the answer:

Try using, AnyDVD and/or DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and then Nero.

I was going to say it might have been the media that you are using, however, you already mentioned that it wasn't, so that goes out the window.

Also, I know you said that it runs perfect when you are working, but I would suggest that you don't use your pc when you are burning. But that is just my opinion.

Hope this helps you!

;)

3. nickCR

nickCR Member

Thanks a lot for the post I really appreciate it.

Actually it's no so much that I am working on my PC it's the fact that I have an anti-virus program (AVAST) and my spyware program (SpyBot & TeaTime) I have my firewall (SyGate). I have read many post stating that this may be a problem etc. I can totally understand that this may be a problem and I would accept it if the problem occured through the movie and also if the problem didn't occur in the EXACT same spot on all copies (made 3 copies of one movie using 3 different apps).

In all 3 copies with all 3 different apps the video problem was in the exact same spot on all copies.

I don't think the media has anything to do with it but ofcourse I couldn't tell you unless I try some others which ofcourse I will tomorrow.

Also I know you recommend some different video programs, maybe I will try those but like I said that I have used 3 different programs already and they all had the same result. DVD Fab / DVD Idle are great for an all in one solution so if I can stick with them i'd really like to.

And once again I do appreciate your response just wanted to let you know what i've tried so maybe you can assist or someone else that has had or seen this problem before and set me in the right direction.

Also one final thing I have check in the device manager and my burner is set to Ultra DMA mode 2. (automatically).

4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Well that's cool. If you like the programs that you use, by all means stick with them. I hope you get what you are looking for, but seeing as though that is about as techincal as I can get, I don't really have much else to say about it. I have had a problem like that before, but just put new media (good disc, same spindle) in.

But hopefully, and definately, someone will be able to assist you. I will let some people know that are in a chatroom for aD (AfterDawn) and they might be able to help you out.

Hope it works for you soon.

;)

5. nickCR

nickCR Member

Venom,

Thank you for your prompt response and I look forward to hearing from others about this. I think i've tried everything and i'm still stumped. Here is something even funnier that really has be even better stumped. I took the movie and played it on another standalone player and it worked perfect. So now my question is wtf is going on with this particular movie in this particular standalone when the original was working perfectly fine in the same standalone.

6. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

LMAO!!!! Now that is pretty funny! That sounds like a really strange problem. Because obviously it would seem that the standalones play the discs, just that they skip. So somewhere along the line of the burn process whether it be the actual burn, or a corrupted file, or something like that, just makes it weird. But definately don't worry, someone will be here to answer your problem. In the meantime, I will be looking at it as well to see why it would have happened like that.

;)

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It does sound like your standalone may have some issues regarding the +r media you are using.
    (the original disc, is it a commercial original, or a backup master copy - and on what type of media)

The fact that they play solidly in your laptop usually indicates that the data burned is successful, therefore when inserted in the standalone, should there be any skipping/freezing this could in fact be down to the standalones capability in reading it.

What is the make/brand of the standalone and how old is it?

If it is an older standalone, compatibility for +r media was not as it is today, and therefore a more modern one will improve your situation.
    (-r media is the most compatible for standalones, especially older ones.)

Any chance you can take those 'suspect' ones round to another standalone (friends house maybe) and see if you get the same results.

This may highlight the standalone or the media as being the problem...............

Imation do produce good media, however I enjoyed the CD's they produced and have not tested any dvd's.
    Definately worth purchasing a different brand of media to see if it is just that.

Also goto http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

You can check here to see what others have said about the same model of standalone you are using regarding compatibility issues.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  8. nickCR

nickCR Member

Well it looks like the problem is in the DVD player. I checked the manual and it doesn't show compatibility with DVD+R/RW. The disc works better then perfect on my laptop, I think that's the problem and i'll try another DVD player.

I have a Pioneer XV-DV8 (DVD Player) which I just bought a month ago. The label on the master back-up doesn't allow me to see the media type however I would naturally assume that it's -R/RW.

I think i've decided to buy a Yamaha system instead and i'll definitley make sure the Yamaha system accepts the +R/RW before I buy it, and if all else fails i'll have to get a -R/RW writer.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  9. nickCR

nickCR Member

Well guys, I just put it in the Xbox and it plays like it does on the laptop better then perfect :). Stupid piece of crap Pioneer. I'm definitley going for the Yamaha now.

Now that i've figured out that it's because the media type +R doesn't work.

This is the question I have for you. If it doesn't handle these disc that well why on earth does work perfectly fine on two disk? Is there something in the formatting that I can change which may help make it work?

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

There maybe a firmware upgrade available for your model, but you would have to look at the Pioneer website for that.

Firmware upgrades are mainly there to improve media support, so there maywell be one for it.

The 2 discs may just be a better 'build' from a structure point of view.
    Don't forget these discs are mass produced and the chances of actually receiving 'identical' discs are actually quite slim.

A different branded +r media maywell work great, so before 'chucking' your Pioneer it could be worth just rtying some different media....................

11. nickCR

nickCR Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for your responses. I'm new at the DVD burning thing so my questions may seem stupid but that's what forums are for to help us little guys out :).

Anyway I found that it worked on other players, and now what i'm doing is im going to buy some other media and test that. If that fails (which i'm assuming it will) then i'll have to be happy with watching movies on my X-Box.

I also looked for the firmware update for my home theater system and no dice. It's just not avaiable anywhere. Actually looking at Pioneers sites, they do not have any firmware updates for anything other then their DVD-R/RW (+R/RW) burners.

Anyway i'm looking on the internet for details on the Yamaha system i'm about to buy (before) I buy it lol. Anyway it is looking good as there doesn't seem to be any problems with it.

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Keeps us posted, as I am actually quite surprised that the Pioneer has had some problems with those +r's.