1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Movies getting progressively worse-What's wrong?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by WarrenC, Jan 19, 2005.

1. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

Help !

I purchased an external Plextor PX708 DVD burner last summer for the sole purpose of making backup copies of my movies. The first couple I burned using DVDXcopy made perfect copies. The next few had a couple of pauses in them. The next ones had more. I switched to DVD shrink and Nero and now I have pauses and skips. The last movie I tried to copy skipped so badly it jumped foward at least 8 minutes on three occasions. It even jumped backwards one time. If I rewind, I can see the images, but when I get to the same spot, it jumps again. I am using TDK +R disks. I've tried using Verbatim +RW but problem continues. These same movies play on different DVD player, but instead of skipping, I get a little snap in the picture, but the movie continues. I have updated the firmware for the drive. It seems that my main DVD player is more sensitive than my spare, but it still seems that my copies have problems with them. I would appreciate any help as I'm ready to junk everything.

thanks

2. TenMen

TenMen Regular member

best to give your computer specs.......
    are you running any programs while your copying like virus protection?
    have you used diff media?
    what speed are you burning x2,x4...?
    why dont you follow scubapetes advice in this link, this guy has helped out alot of ppl...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/146856

3. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

Sorry about that. XP computer and I think Norton Antivirus is running in the background. The only media I've tried is the TDK +R and Verbatum +RW. I forgot to mention that before I went to Shrink and Nero, I tried DVD Cloner II, but same problems. The first two programs I used I wasn't able to control the speed, but with Nero I use the slowest speed available, usually 2.4X. I understand that Norton can screw things up, so I will disable it, but I still can't understand why things are getting worse the more I do it.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Best to keep speed at 4x or lower. Have you tried -R discs? Maybe your DVD player isn't compatible with +R's or maybe it doesn't like burns at all. I've got a couple of friends who have that problem.

5. WarrenC

WarrenC Member

Thanks for the response. No I haven't tried -R. I can understand if I had this problem right from the start, but my first two movies copied flawlessly. That's what puzzling.

6. TenMen

TenMen Regular member

your best bet is to follow scubapetes guide + use a dvdrw to save on discs.
    my problem was with my nec 3500 drive which i used as an external burner by putting it in a bytec enclosure.
    man, i made alot of coasters.
    so i followed his steps, upgraded firmware, disabled most of the startup programs...etc
    now my success rate is up to 90%.
    keep trying and write back...good luck