1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by blktrail, Oct 13, 2004.

1. blktrail

blktrail Guest

hi i'm very new to burning movie files onto dvds i don't understand none of the computer talk so if u can answer with a simple way to do what i'm about to ask. I've downloaded some movies now all i want to do is put then one blank dvd disk but when i try it said its to big how can i get it all on one disk without splittin or cutting anything out?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Best you go to the Software section of the Forum and get DVD Shrink . A good piece of software with excellent support in here -- Do a search in the box up top the Forum and you will find some nice threads where everything is explained quite clearly !

You will also need a piece of software to do the actual burning -- Nero has a 30 days Free trial and also has excellent guides you can download.

Once you done this preliminary work , well by all means if you get stuck, come back and post your question again with enough details so people can help you !

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Moved.

4. blktrail

blktrail Guest

ok what i mean is i have a movie whice i downloaded its not a dvd that i'm backing up its a file on my hard drive now i got roxio easy dvd creater and when i add it to the dvd buider it shows how big the file is in gb and its like 5 or 6gbs big so myu question is, is how could i put this one movie(full) on one disk and is roxio a good software and or is there any kind of software i would need to make this work i hope this helps who ever answers and i think u if u can

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

blktrail
    OK, no 1.-could you please use punctuation and maybe edit your questions before you post as I'm having a very hard time understanding what you are saying. Thanx :>)

no.2-In my opinion Roxio is one of the worse apps there are on the market. Not only that, but it is a very greedy app and doesn't like to share causing problems with other DVD software in many cases. It is also very hard to remove leaving remnants on your PC that can still cause problems with other apps.

no.3-since these are downloaded files, what kind are they? Many DL'd files need to be converted to DVD compliant files before they can be burnt.

no.4-[bold]when i add it to the dvd buider it shows how big the file is in gb and its like 5 or 6gbs big so myu question is, is how could i put this one movie(full) on one disk [/bold]

???? what is dvd buider?

As far as putting 5 or 6 g's on one disc, no problem. You just compress and/or edit. It really depends on what kind of files you have as to what program you use.

I like to use NeroVisionExpress(NVE), which is in the Nero Ultra 6 suite as Jeanc1 told you about..You can reload it every month and use it for the entire month as many times as you want.

NVE will let you convert your files, will compress your files, and will let you create a menu and chapters if needed(or wanted).

If your files are already DVD compliant, then again, as Jeanc1 suggested, use shrink 3.2(free)and open files instead of open disc and browse to your file folder.

If you need it, here is a quickie shrink 3.2 guide I wrote, it's about 2/3 of the way down:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/13/105641
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Thanks for picking up that thread !! Big Orange ! I have been so busy here at the Office with deadlines to meet , I didnt have much time left for the Forum !

[bold]@blktrail [/bold] you are in good hands , that guide will clear a few things for you. And there are many more you can have a look at if you browse the threads in here.

PS. If you decide in trying Nero -and you should- do not forget to uninstall that Roxio software FIRST. -- this URL will let you download a tool called RoxiZap to clean up your PC from all remnants of that software :-

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm...ols/roxizap.exe

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Jeanc1, that Roxizap looks familiar,heh heh.

8. blktrail

blktrail Guest

thanks for the help both of u. I am going to try everything yall told me and see if it works. one more question i have amagicspin dvd recorder is this a good one to have or does it really matter thanks again

9. blktrail

blktrail Guest

A dvd builder is one of the progams on roxio which i was tryin to use to make my dvds.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]one more question i have amagicspin dvd recorder is this a good one to have or does it really matter [/bold]

I have never heard of this brand, so I can't say. Are you talking about burners, if so, yes it does matter. You want one that burns all formats and a good name.

Good brands are LiteOn, NEC, Pioneer, and my favorite, Plextor.

11. blktrail

blktrail Guest

yes burner. ok then i'm going to get started and see how things go. I don't need any other software to go with the two yall all ready name?

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, I googled magic spin and from what I saw it is a CD burner, not a DVD burner. Now I could be mistaken, but from what I saw on the site I saw no DVD burner.

You will need a DVD burner for DVD's or all you can burn is SVCD and VCD's.

13. blktrail

blktrail Guest

no the one i got is a dvd burner i made sure of that when i brougth it. It saids right on the burner, dvd rw/w

14. blktrail

blktrail Guest

OK another question i hope its not to much for u to answer but step by step if i have a movie file(its one movie but two downloaded files i hope you understand what i mean)how do i use nero to put them together and fit. Basically how do i use nero step by step please if u can

15. blktrail

blktrail Guest

Sorry another question burning on a dvd useing nero does this let me play this using my dvd player for my tv or just the computer cuase that's what i'm trying to do take the files from my computer put them on a dvd so i can watch then on my tv thanxs again.

P.S. hope i'm not a pest

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Here is a quickie NeroVision Express (NVE) guide I wrote, hope it helps.

Open NVE

Choose make DVD > DVD Video

click on add files on the right.

From the window browse to your files and add them one at a time, wait in between for NVE to do it's thing and when the file is finished add the next and so on til done.

If you wish to create chapters, click on each file one at a time after they have all been converted, and hit "create chapters" starting with the 1st then hit next and you can set your chapters manually, (which I do it's faster) or you can let NVE do it for you auto. There is a preview window, just slide the slider, note time on right and stop it, hit the set chapter button.

Go back and repeat this step for each file til done.

Note, you can also edit your files in the same manner(one at a time) by hitting "edit movie" then going back and repeating for each file.

Note-this could take another guide in itself for editing, I'm just giving you the basics. Most movie files don't need editing, unless they have commercials, etc.

Now it's time to create a menu. hit next and here you set your layout,backgrounds,buttons, text, font, colors, etc.

A very neat feature here, you can import backgrounds, video clips, pictures, etc. to incorporate in your menu. There are 3 little cameras for this import feature. Just left click on each for it's specific function.

Each heading on the right in this section is self explanatory, click on each one down the line, follow the cues until done.

Once your window is setup on the left you can right click on your buttons and select properties, go in and type titles, fonts, etc.

Hint- I like to go to movie sites and get video clips, backgrounds, posters, and photos for my custom menu. You will need to play around here til you get the hang of it, the manuel is a great aid.

When finished, hit next and you will see a software remote control. Use this as you would one from your living room chair at home and play with your movie. Go to different chapters, FF, rev., pause, etc. If you wish to change something you can still go back, if all is to your liking then hit next.

Set your parameters for burning, ie.-your burner, your HD, record settings, it's in the box at the top right.

When all is ready hit burn, go away, leave the PC alone, NO MULTITASKING !

When you return play your masterpiece you created!

*note- this is not intended as a complete step by step guide, but is a blueprint of sorts designed to give you steps to follow. NVE is more compicated than a simple burn guide. Use the NVE manuel which can be found at the Nero Homepage. You can download it, print it, or do as I do which is put all the Nero Ultra 6 manuel links in a folder which I can go to at any time and review.

If you use this guide with the manuel you will be fine, it is one of the simpler programs of this type.

good luck....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Yes you can play your DVD on your TV if done correctly. You said your burner is R,RW, make sure it is also + or - compliant with your media and that media is compliant with your DVD player.

I would also suggest using an RW disc until you get the process down pat.

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I hope you have that big post saved as a text file Big O :p

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, I do, LOL. Thanx tho, LOL.;>)

20. blktrail

blktrail Guest

OK i have one problem my movie fileswell one of the files) is not dvd compliant the one i'm doind is mpg so how do i make it dvd compliant? Also u keep saying nerovisionexpress is this the same as the nero start smart software which i downloaded from afterdawn?
    sorry for all the questions just trying to get it down pack