1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning MPG to DVD?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by ass1243, Aug 24, 2004.

1. ass1243

ass1243 Member

Alright, I'am fairly new to dvd burning. I only know how to backup DVD's. So please try to keep everything to simple terms. What I'am trying to do is burn some MPG Movies to a DVD to watch on a DVD Player. Problem is Nero won't accept MPG Files & supports only Iso. & some other files. Is there anyway to convert MPG to Iso?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Not true, NeroVision Express(NVE) will not only convert those files, but enable you to add chapters and a menu(which has some pretty neat features). You can even preview your work with a software remote before you burn.

Your files must be under 4.7 as NVE will not compress or reauthor. It comes with the Nero Ultra 6 package.

3. amxhunter

amxhunter Guest

Yeah, if you don't mind waiting 4 to 5 hours. I'm on a 3Gig machine with a Gig of memory and FX5900 Vid Card . It takes that long for a 2 gig MPEG2 file to be recoded and written to DVD.

My Question is Why can't I get the DVP642 to play the MPEG2 file directly as it says it will ? Duh, It comes up on the menu Screen but when you press play all you get is the blue Philips screen.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

not sure, I have the same player, I like to use it for testing and the zoom feature + it's ability to handle all formats makes it perfect. I have no problem playing mpeg files. Have you called support?

BTW, I just did 4 files in NVE and created a menu with chapters in about an hour and a 1/2 including burn.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  5. amxhunter

amxhunter Guest

Nope, haven't called yet. But, I usually try to work stuff out before going that route.

Can i ask the steps you use to make your DVD from the mpeg ?

6. amxhunter

amxhunter Guest

OH BTW,

ROLL TIDE !

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Damn, double post, sorry

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Here is a quickie NeroVision Express (NVE) guide I wrote, hope it helps.

Open NVE

Choose make DVD > DVD Video

click on add files on the right.

From the window browse to your files and add them one at a time, wait in between for NVE to do it's thing and when the file is finished add the next and so on til done.

If you wish to create chapters, click on each file one at a time and hit "create chapters" starting with the 1st then hit next and you can set your chapters manually, (which I do it's faster) or you can let NVE do it for you auto. There is a preview window, just slide the slider, note time on right and stop it, hit the set chapter button.

Go back a repeate this step for each file til done.

Note, you can also edit your files in the same manner(one at a time) by hitting "edit movie" then going back and repeating for each file.

Note-this could take another guide in itself for editing, I'm just giving you the basics.

Now it's time to create a menu. hit next and here you set your layout,backgrounds,buttons, text, font, colors, etc.

A very neat feature here, you can import backgrounds, video clips, pictures, etc. to incorporate in your menu. There are 3 little cameras for this import feature. Just left click on each for it's specific function.

Hint- I like to go to movie sites and get video clips, backgrounds, posters, and photos for my custom menu. You will need to play around here til you get the hang of it, the manuel is a great aid.

When finished, hit next and you will see a software remote control. Use this a you would one from your living room chair at home and play with your movie. Go to different chapters, FF, rev., pause, etc. If you wish to change something you can still go back, if all is to your liking then hit next.

Set you parameters for burning, ie.-your burner, your HD, record settings, it's in the box at the top right.

When all is ready hit burn, go away, leave the PC alone, NO MULTITASKING !

When you return play your masterpiece you created!
    good luck....

BTW, the tide will be rolling when the Vols kick their butts, they won't be able to stand! lol

Are they still on probation?

9. amxhunter

amxhunter Guest

Yeah , they got as much chance as the proverbial Snowball in beating the Vols this year. hehe,

Back to DVD.

Well, what you are doing though is not what I'm after. The process you are using is re-coding the Mpeg2 files.

I don't want to do that.

If I use NVE and make a Data Disc, add my MPEG2 file(s) and burn .

Put the disc in the player and the menu pops up showing the titles and that its an mpeg2.

Does your process bring up the menu and show the file type ?

My problem is that when I push the play button , I get no sound or video other than the Blue Philips screen. However the PLAY is on and FF 2X 4X 8X works , so something is going on.

I'm wondering what the firmware upgrade does. Do you know ?

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

There are several things you could check that all have to do with error free DVD burning. Firmware update could definitely be one. Other things to check for are:

1) Are your ide settings set to DMA?
    2) Have you installed an apsi layer?
    3) Have you tried different media?
    4) And, are you doing anything else on your pc while trying to burn?

My menu will show titles and you could type in the corresponding file type with each title, but it will not show it automatically. You can specifically design each title to meet your specifications.

Oh yeah, don't be too sure about the Vols winning against Bama. It's one of their oldest rivalries and the Vols, while having tremendous talent this year(top 5 in recruiting in the nation)they are extremely young and inexperienced. I always hold my breath when we play Bama!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  11. amxhunter

amxhunter Guest

Here we go,

1) Are your ide settings set to DMA?
    Yes

2) Have you installed an apsi layer?
    Yes

3) Have you tried different media?
    Verbatim and TDK - Both work and play fine on the PC

4) And, are you doing anything else on your pc while trying to burn?
    Priority is set high and I turn off all backround services when copying or encoding.

BTW , I called Support. Of course they told me to download the Firmware upgrade. I did and Installed it. Did not help.

What I am getting at here is there should be someway to play the MPEG file directly as the Menu recognizes the file. Just no output. Wierd.

If I recode the Mpeg file and then burn it to DVD it plays fine. Quality SUCKS if file is over 1.2 gig to start with cause NVE will reduce quality to make it fit.

Anything beyond SP (120 minutes) looks horrible.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Just curious, why is it important to remain an mpeg and not convert to DVD compliant to burn and watch it on a DVD?

Also, many PC software players play the mpeg format if you really need to view it that way.

[bold]"Quality SUCKS if file is over 1.2 gig to start with cause NVE will reduce quality to make it fit."[/bold]

As far as I know,NVE does not compress, if the file is too large it will not accept it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  13. amxhunter

amxhunter Guest

Well, if you can get a 1.5 gig file on a DVD in Mpeg format , then you get approx 1.5 hours play time.

The DVP642 says it will play Mpeg2 files but I have yet to get it to do so.

"Quality SUCKS if file is over 1.2 gig to start with cause NVE will reduce quality to make it fit."

"As far as I know,NVE does not compress, if the file is too large it will not accept it"

Yeah, NVE pops up and tells me that a 2.0 gig Mpeg when converted will not fit on a DVD in Standard Play mode. It asks the question if i want to have NVE make it fit. If I say yes it changes the file to long play mode and the resulting dvd looks horrible. Super long play is even worse.

"Also, many PC software players play the mpeg format if you really need to view it that way."

PC just ain't the same as the nice 55" sitting in my den :)

I'm going to keep playing with it. Right now I've run into a problem where the audio is out of synch. You run into that ?

thx,