1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning off xvid 701mb video file on cdr using nero 6

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by tillyt, Jun 24, 2004.

1. tillyt

tillyt Guest

hi guys, I am a total newbie to this burning off of video files, so yr expert help wud be much appreciated, I am trying to burn off a xvid file onto a cd, but it is telling me that the file is too big, how do I cut it in half? tried doing the thing with the overburn so that my cd length is longer, but nero is telling me that my file is unexpected file format.
    I am really stuck, can anyone help pls???? (oh I am doing it as a svcd) thanks

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Well, you can burn an AVI to CD no probs, 701MB should fit (?)
    But it is an XviD AVI; it is not SVCD, which is MPEG2.
    If you want it to play in any DVD player (correct?) you must first convert to MPEG1 (VCD) or MPEG2 (SVCD).
    Checkout the forums here on AD and get to know TMPGEnc.
    I will tell you right now, it's not as quick & easy as you hoped...
    I have had good results carefully backing up a DVD to VCD, but when transcoding an AVI to MPEG (decompressing then recompressing), good quality will be a challenge.

3. myfinger

myfinger Member

i think he's only saying he wants to back the file onto the cd...but i think it's either a 640MB cd or little over 703 MB...

4. tillyt

tillyt Guest

well, I tried your suggestions, and as u said, it aint easy! but I managed to do it, had to spread the film over 4 discs, and the quality was rubbish! so I guess I will have to stick to a) watching the film on my pc or b) dont download xvid files!
    any other suggestions u can come up with for splitting my xvid file so I can burn a copy off onto svcd?
    thanks

5. tillyt

tillyt Guest

well, I tried your suggestions, and as u said, it aint easy! but I managed to do it, had to spread the film over 4 discs, and the quality was rubbish! so I guess I will have to stick to a) watching the film on my pc or b) dont download xvid files!
    any other suggestions u can come up with for splitting my xvid file so I can burn a copy off onto svcd?
    thanks

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

7. tillyt

tillyt Guest

I have changed the overburner bit to 99 0 0 on nero 6, but if I try and burn from the nero burning rom, it tells me that I have an unexpected file format, if I do it from nero express , it tells me that the disc is not big enough. Told u I was a newbie to all this! help!!!!!! I really want to burn off this xvid film so I can watch it on my dvd player as a vcd or svcd.

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well then you need to convert!

For more info on encoding to (S)VCD with TMPGEnc: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/43085