1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning on 2 dvd-5 instead of dvd-9

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by nsx2050, Apr 4, 2007.

1. nsx2050

nsx2050 Member

Hi, I need to burn a video that is 4 hrs long, (3 x 1h20m). How can I burn it to 2 DVD-5 instead of a DVD-9 using nero or any other programme.

Your help is well appreciated.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If you just need to save the main movie(you'll lose all the extras) the very simple procedure is this: (let's say you have your DVD9 on your HD).
    1) Open the folder which contains your DVD with DVDShrink 'open files'
    2) Click the Re-author button
    3) Drag from the right window the main movie into the left window (re-auhored DVD)
    4) press the Set Start/End Frames button (which is in the top of the left window) and choose , as End Frame, any chapter you want, about in the middle of the movie; let's say that chapter is C.
    You'll then have:
    Start = 1 (or 0? I don't remember exactly. Anyway: the smallest number you can choose)
    End = C
    5) press 'Backup!' and save the first DVD (for instance, DVD_1.ISO).
    6) press again the Set Start/End Frames, put:
    Start = C+1
    End = end
    7) press 'Backup!' and save the first DVD (for instance, DVD_2.ISO).
    8) Now you can burn the two ISOs.

Keeping the extras is more complex, because if you want to keep the DVD structure you'll have to 'blank' many chapters of the main movie (with VobBlanker) until DVD1 (extras + 1st part of the movie) is less than 4.5 Gb.
    Let's suppose that, if you blank the chapters (C+1),...N the DVD1, which contains:
    - extras
    - movie from 1:C chapters
    fits on a DVD5.

Now sign down the number of the last chapter you keep, because DVD2 will be made with DVDShrink as I descried before.

3. nsx2050

nsx2050 Member

I have got 3 Xvid files in one folder, and when I try Nero, it only lets me put them on one disc.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You're speaking of a different thing.
    "Burning on 2 dvd-5 instead of dvd-9" means burning 2 DVD5 instead of a DVD5.

"Putting some XviD on a Disc" can be done burning those AVI (actually , up to 4500 MB, so you can fit 6*700 MB AVIs) into a Data DVD.

Of course, that disc will be useful only if your player reads AVI.

If you burn a CD using Nero, it's better to check the 'misc' option "Replace the FourCC code 'XviD' with 'DivX' to make the file DivX compatible", so your DVD player reads it also if it only read DivX files.
    If you want to burn a Data DVD, that option won't be enabled. The FourCC code will have to be changed before , using the free application "Nic's FourCC changer", aka AviC.exe, included in XviD distribution package.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  5. nsx2050

nsx2050 Member

Basically, I want to make my own dvd movie in standard quality. It can't fit onto a standard dvd disc but it can fit onto a dvd-9. As I have no dvd-9 discs, I would like to put it onto two standard dvd discs.

i.e. like when burning movies to a vcd, one is not enough, so you burn it on to two.

i.e. Godfather II, that is spread across two discs.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Burn 2 on one disc then burn the last on another. Or use one of the VirtualDudMods (I like mp3 freeze) and join all 3 then go back and cut the new joined one into 2 equal pieces (use Direct Stream Copy).

7. stageman

stageman Member

I Use DVD FAB PLATNIUM Use The Split Method

8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

So that would work with the OP's 3 Xvid files?