1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning on the fly what's safest

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jayquik03, Mar 3, 2005.

1. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

I have a dvd burner that burns at 8x and a dvd-rom drive (not a burner) that reads at 16x now I know it's not recomended but i want to burn on the fly. my drives are on diffrent ide drives so I was wondering if I was to burn on the fly would it be bad to burn at 8x even though the dvd rom drive is a 16x reader? so it's reading twice as fast as the burner is writing or should i break it down a bit lets say 6x 4x or 2x I know 2 would be the safest but is there a certain number that's ok like 4x is 4 times faster than the burner is working or should it be 8 times faster than the burner?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The 2 different speeds shouldn't be a problem. Thats where the burner buffer comes into play. As long as the buffer is close to full it will supply a constant stream of data to the burner.
    What I don't understand, and I see this all the time is your statement that you know its not a good idea to burn on the fly but you are going to do it anyway. Yes it is possible and yes it may work sometimes but why take the chance or getting burn errors. I just don't understand it.

Jerry

3. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

It's much quicker I stated my question kinda wrong yes i know people say it's not a good idea to do it but i'm trying to find out if I burn at 2x will it like be flawless? would it work everytime like if I burn from the harddrive or near everytime I know that people do it and it wouldnt be an option if it didnt work so i'm trying to figure out what is the best way to do it. I burn dvd's and the at 8x and the used read buffer falls to 0 but if i do it at 4x it stays at 100

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The best way would be trial and error... Every system is different and there are to many different varables to mention that would make one system work better than the other. I wouldn't reccomend burning on the fly to anyone. Now that being said I get perfect backups burning on the fly at x8 speed, but hey lets face it I'm a pro. :) I have two burners though so I believe that is why mine works so well. You can run the discs threw Nero CD-DVD Speed to see how well the disks come out.
    1. Open Nero CD-DVD Speed
    2. Click on Extra
    3. Select Scan Disc
    4. Click in little box that says Surface Scan
    5. Then Click on start
    You will see where your disk is bad if you have any red thats bad green is good and so on..
    I scan all my back ups this way to make sure there is no problems.

All I can say is if you want to do it then just do it.. hehehehehe I stole that from Nike :) It might cost you a few discs to try but at least then you will know..

5. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

thank you both for the respond bbmayo that's exactly what I was looking for was a way to see if it skips or anything is that what you mean by checking disk errors will be green? I will try this right now thanks for the help... :-D

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah if you get any red in there then its bad, yellow is OK but not preffered what you really want is all green :)

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

do a transfer test with nero cd/dvd speed.
    it is almost as good as scanning for PI/PIF errors
    look for a gradual rounded curve. any slowdowns or drops in line is a bad burn