1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning problem after firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by LaBarge84, Jan 24, 2007.

1. LaBarge84

LaBarge84 Member

I recently recieved a firmware upgrade cause my dvd drive sometimes would not read newer released store dvds. and after the upgrade, i cant burn a dvd. the program (DVDClonerIV) reads the dvd fine, but when it comes to inserting a blank dvd, it doesnt burn to it. it just does nothing.

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

what make and model is your drive and what firmware did you upgrade to? Also if a store bought DVD isn't being read, then it could be a bad press and the DVD is defective. I would have returned the DVD to the store for another copy...... next is to always upgrade to the newest firmware because:

Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition.

doing a firmware upgrade should only improve your drive .... not hinder the drive or hurt the drive, unless you did something wrong with the installation of the firmware or tried to upgrade to the wrong firmware for that drive!

3. onya

onya Guest

@IHoe, When firmware is updated and then minor/serious problems occur, can system restore be used? or is it a driver rollback function that's used to return to previous settings?

Cheers.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

a system restore is for the computer...... the firmware is already in the memory of the drive and I don't think a system restore will help

5. LaBarge84

LaBarge84 Member

My drvie is I/O Magic 12xDVD+/-RW/+-R Dual Fromat 12x
    I dont have a problem reading the dvds, its just when its time to insert a blank dvd to burn to, it does nothing. My firmware is 120|, and i've downloaded/updated my ASPI driver also

6. LaBarge84

LaBarge84 Member

i talked to I/P Magic IT Support, and they said to have my drive replaced and i asked y it even went bad and they said not sure. this is bull, it has to be fixed somehow

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

this is the make...what is the model #? and what media are you using? It just might be the media that you're using that isn't being recognized.... have you tried quality media? Use the good stuff... MIJs (Made In Japan).... look for the MIJ on the label of the spindle or box .....or use Verbatim.... a top quality disk but made in Tawain/Singapore and the only NON MIJs that will get close to my burner! No coasters in over 2000 burns since I started using these disks! I would use another program and good quality disks before I go and replace your drive! some great software to use would be AnyDVD + CloneDVD..... it's easy to use and very simple and high quality and they give you a 21 days free trial period to use and see if you like it... it's a member favorite here...... try it you'll like it....... here is a guide:
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/1FOR1 BACKUP CLONEDVD&ANYDVD.pdf
    and if you want free programing, try another member favorite, RipIt4Me, download the programs and follow the guide:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/422740
    try these out and enjoy! hopefully it's just your software that was giving you the problem! good luck and let us know what's doing!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007