1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by borneo, Apr 29, 2004.

1. borneo

borneo Member

i have a pioneer 107d have updated firmware
    using dvd decrypter then dvd2one then burn with nero 6
    everything going fine until 3 days ago now when i try to burn at either 4x or 8x i get this message - power calibration failed. also tried dvd xcopy platinum will read but will not burn. can anyone offer any help to this problem.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Try a different name brand blank disk

3. ellizit

ellizit Guest

Another thing you might want to try is adjusting the burning speed to see if that will make a difference. Let us know.

4. borneo

borneo Member

figured it must be the disks & have tried different brands. strange thing is when i boot up with the disk in the drive it will usually burn at 4x & sometimes even at 8x but if i try to burn after decrypting & dvd2one then i get the failure. driving me crazy trying to figure out why. any ideas

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm not too sure but would like to hear if you have upgraded to the recent DVD Decrypter. Since I upgraded I've been finding little "Gremlins" not encountered before - me thinking the "New Kid on the Block" has brought some "Buggies" along with him -

Pete

6. borneo

borneo Member

decrypter v3.0.0.11 & dvd2one v1.2.0 have not upgraded either of them although have upgraded nero & firmware on the dvd drive. i know you can get some bad disks but 25-50% gets a bit expensive & i have plenty of drink coasters.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I'll explain what a Power Calibration Error is.

This type of error happens when the Laser of the writer, in your case the Pioneer, tests the disc to see how strong the burning laser has to be. If the error occurs, in most software programs you can click the error message ok button, eject the media, close down the software, re-insert the SAME media and attempt to burn again.

If, however, you still get the error, make sure that you are using a quality disc that is in original condition (no blemishes). It is also worth to note that Power Calibration Errors can be faults in the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isnt usually the case.

Chris

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thank you Chris -

Who ever said they can't learn, I do everyday :D)

"P"

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - and i learn a lot from you and others as well Pete, thats the way of the world...

:)
    Chris

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sure is, it's what makes it go round & round :p)

"P"

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats very true buddy - we'll kick this forum into shape with some great knowleadgeable users soon , eh ;-)

12. borneo

borneo Member

Thank you all for your help with this problem it is much appreciated. I am using 2 different brands of burn media & I have had the same problem with both & I have found that rebooting after each burn does help. I will persevere I try a few different brands. As you all say you learn something new everyday & it is great to have people like you around to help with this learning process.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

borneo,

The error you're getting should be fixed by using good media -

BUT, it couldn't hurt to delete your drive in Divice Manager then let your PC load it up again. Did you check to see if you needed a firmware upgrade ?

This is the site to get the latest one for your drive -

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Let's see if that helps -

Pete

14. rogue248

rogue248 Member

Fellas,

I too have now become a victim of the power calibration error. I've tried firmware updates (now have v1.13 official), I've tried fixing my IDE cables since I had a few buffer under-run errors (to put my WD 7200rpm hd on a different cable than my 107d), tried closing every possible app I could think of and still have lost atleast 20-30 disks (Ritek 8x (only-burn-me-at-4x-on-107d's)). My system: AMD athalon 2200, 512 RAM, 120GB WD 7200 RPM, Windows 2003 Server. My apps used: Nero ver. 0603 and trying GEAR PRO. Nero seems to put data on the disk so retrying after a calibration error doesn't seem to work, BUT... GEAR has allowed after one. Bad news, Gear now looses the buffer. I've also tried increasing the paging in windows (not sure if it's a good idea or bad, but just looking for any reliable burn). My first 50 set of disks probably only lost 7, but now I'm not so lucky. I did just order some TDK 4x and hope this could work.

Any suggestions?

15. pudgy

pudgy Member

I have a question..I see alot of comments about firmware....what exactly is firmware...I use shrink and decrypter very successfully...do I need this thing called firmware or might I have it and not know it...

Sher

16. ellizit

ellizit Guest

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Rogue, Believe it or not even ScubaPete has lost a disc or two - I'm working on an old TV series, a 6 disc set called SHAZAM (Capt. Marvel) made from VHS tapes and rendered to DVD and I'm using RW media until I get a perfect burn then, I just click 3 on Nero and burn the 3 copies I need.

Save yourself some discs and burn to an RW before burning to your +R or -R.

Good Luck,

Pete

18. borneo

borneo Member

firmware has been upgraded & when first started burning had hardly any problems all disks burnt at 8x & was using 2 different brands of media (some ones I am using now) then suddenly started getting problems. Am still able to burn some at 8x some at 4x & have even burnt at 2x but that takes forever. may try the suggestion of deleting the device & re-installing & will go an check if there are any other upgrades. anyone know where to get firmware upgrades for a
    JLMS XJ-HD166S DVD Rom drive?

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

borneo,

Try upgrading your media to our recommended stuff - more inexpensive media isn't as consistant in quality so may vary greatly in burning -

cheers,

Pete

20. rogue248

rogue248 Member

Fellas,

I feel so stupid... after getting ready to shoot my computer and myself, I read a thread about anothers' calibration error. Someone else told him to clean his drive, BRILLIANT, We have to keep these things clean too?! (sarcasm) Went to Radio Shack and bought a disc cleaner and works just fine.

Laters